Why wont he resign? Does he not understand what he did was wrong?

� Ireland's senior Roman Catholic, Cardinal Sean Brady, said Monday he would not resign despite admitting he helped the church collect evidence against a child-molesting priest � and never told police about the crimes.

Brady, as a priest and Vatican-trained canon lawyer in 1975, said he interviewed two children about the abuse they suffered at the hands of the Rev. Brendan Smyth. He said both children were required to sign oaths promising not to tell anyone outside the church of their allegations.

Smyth went on to molest and rape scores of other children in Ireland, Britain and the United States before British authorities in neighboring Northern Ireland demanded his arrest in 1994. The Irish government of the day collapsed amid acrimony over why Smyth was not quickly extradited to Belfast.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Brady admitted his role in gathering evidence against Smyth because he has been named as a defendant in a current Dublin lawsuit filed by one of Smyth's female victims. Lawyers in that case unearthed records of Brady's involvement in gathering testimony from two Irish boys abused by Smyth.

Irish newspapers had identified the victims as a 10-year-old altar boy and a 14-year-old girl. But Martin Long, Brady's spokesman, told The Associated Press that both victims were boys.

Brady said it was the responsibility of his diocesan bishop, as well as the leader of Smyth's separate Catholic order of priests, to tell police. But he said the church didn't do this because of "a culture of silence about this, a culture of secrecy."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes, I knew that these were crimes," Brady said. "But I did not feel that it was my responsibility to denounce the actions of Brendan Smyth to the police. Now I know with hindsight that I should have done more, but I thought at the time I was doing what I was required to do."

Smyth abused at least 90 children in Ireland, Britain and in U.S. parishes in Rhode Island and North Dakota from 1948 to 1993.

His Irish religious order, the Norbertines, gave him sanctuary in the Republic of Ireland in 1991 after one Belfast family told Northern Ireland police he had molested four of the family's children.
    sweet-a-kins

• Of course, sanctuary in the Republic- where historically the government and Catholic Church were entwined as 1-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• They think they are above the law!

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have a hard time understanding why these men are not charged with obstruction of justice. Clergy or not, they still have to abide by the laws that govern our society.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have a hard time understanding why these men are not charged with obstruction of justice. Clergy or not, they still have to abide by the laws that govern our society

Me too...they act like they are ABOVE the law because they are TREATED like they are above the law,,,.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Why don't defense lawyers just tell the truth about their guilty clients? Oh yeah, there is that confidentiality thing. It is extra horrible in this situation, but that is how it is. What I don't get is why the parents would agree to keep it quiet. There isn't enough money or coersion in the world that would get me to protect a child molester.
    Anonymous

Priests only have confidentiality when they are hearing confession, not when they find out other priests break the law

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Priests only have confidentiality when they are hearing confession, not when they find out other priests break the law

It isn't just confession. If that were the case only Catholics would have this protection. It is actually if there is a "spiritual advisor" involved. That is where confidentiality comes in. It doesn't make the crime any less heinous, but it is the letter of the law.

Why didn't the parents go to the police? I wouldn't have said zip to the church I would have gone straight to the cops.
    Anonymous