To circumsize or not to circumsize?

Ok so here's my story. I already have one son who was a micropreemie and the hospital would not circumsize him due to his size (he weighed 1 lb 6 oz) I just wanted him to live so I didn't push the issue but I always said I wanted it done. They claimed that they would do it right before he went home but they didn't and I didn't remind them. I was just so excited after 4 months of him being in the hospital 2 hours away from home that he was coming home!!!! Anyways, so we had some check ups and surgeries at that particular hospital so I checked into getting it done, I got the run around and put on hold and the run around again so I forget it. Needless to say he's 2. 5 and he's still not circumsized... Up to date: I am almost 22 weeks pregnant with another boy... Do we circumsize? Or not? I don't want my oldest thinking that he has something wrong with him or something. And quite frankly, if it's not broke don't fix it...cont.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Would you have one and not the other circumsized? What are your thoughts on it? Thanks!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I honestly think that if I had a boy in this day and age, I wouldn't circumsize. We did it with my son, but that was 16 years ago, it was something that was done. It's been proven that there really aren't any healthy benefits like what was once thought. So no, I wouldn't
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Circumcise. Uncircumcised is gross!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My son was born 27 years ago, and naturally circumsized at birth (well 3 days old). It was just what was done back then. If I were having a son now, there is no way I would have him circumsized. I am not Jewish, so there is no religous reason for it in our case, and even though I am not Christian either, I don't believe God created half the children born on this planet "defective" and in need of instant cosmetic surgery at birth. I have both a son and a daughter, and I have excellent eyesight. A girl has as many "whorls and flaps of skin" as a boy, and having raised both, I know full well a boy can be taught to bathe properly and keep himself clean as easily as a girl can. It is unnecessary and unnatural in my opinion.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Well, you have kind of an unusual situation because most parents go through this with the first son - first. But, I still think it's a choice you have to make. I have two boys. I did all the research and reading and found all the reasons why not to do it. BUT, I did get both of my boys circed. I talked to family, none of which were circed as babies and all of which said they have had some issue through the years because of it. Bacterial infections, yeast infections and all of their wives have had issues as well. Then I talked to the doctor, she told me there is very little reasons to circ, but that the few there are, are big ones! Uncirced boys are at a risk of yeast infections, STDs that are generally only female like HPV, and have a greater chance of Penile cancer. While the only real perk to not having it done is sexual sensitivity. Personally, I would much rather they enjoy sex a little less and don't end up with cancer!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• sorry I ran out of room...

Simply sit down, and make a list of the pros & cons of each side. List everything that is important to YOU and decide whether it's a pro circ or pro non circ... No matter what all of us think, it's something you have to live with.

I will tell you this. I have known a few men that had it done as adults for health reasons, and ALL of them told me to circ as babies! I was in the room with my boys when it was done, neither so much as flinched, there was no pain and no blood. But the longer you wait the more painful it will be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i would. as stated above, there are no health benefits either way except maintenance however. i work at a nursing home and my uncircumcised patients have a lot more uti's than the other. little boys have to be taught to properly clean if you decide not to. but i would make sure they both are because unless you have miralce babys chances are they wont clean properly and you may not have the time to constantly check. eager boys sometimes dont even wanna wipe their butts let alone clean their penis' regularly.
    heyjudeboy1223

Answer by heyjudeboy1223 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My son is NOT circ'ed and he is just fine! God made him that way for a reason!

Its all cultural, you know in some regions of the world its completly normal for a girl to be circ'ed. They think its "gross" not to be. Soooo closed minded!

THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU NEED TO DO TO IT SPECIAL....my son is 6 and has never been retracted.

So much misinformation out there.

AND WHY IN THE WORLD would I worry about what is gonna happen to my sons penis when he is 90 years old after he has had a long life to live with it. When you get old plenty of things happen to you....whats the difference.

People have such strange ideas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We chose not to circ b/c it is a cosmetic procedure that I didnt feel was necessary! And my son has been wonderful ever since. We do not retract him b/c that can tear the skin underneath that is attatched. One day it will "release" and he can then retract it on his own. People make such a huge deal over not being circ. its not really that big of a deal! You just have to be educated on the subject!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i would leave both boys the same.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010