Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My ex basically tried to kill himself will I be able to take the kids from him?

My ex has no control over his life, has been on drugs, drinking and in and out of jail for years. Somehow I was only able to keep the kids from him for 1 year and he has not seeked any sort of treatment. Now he is in the hospital becasue he was depressed and went over board on drinking. He is in ICU and they are saying it's really bad. he has been unconcious for hours and if he does wake up they say he will be brain damaged. I know that could obviously change and he could be just fine. My question is if he comes out of this, I should be able to get his visitation taken away, right? Should I contact DCF or just my lawyer. He is clearly unstable and hopefully this will finally prove to the court he should not have them.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • I feel for him. Don't punish him by taking his children away from him. At least ask for supervised visits!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • start with your lawyer

    And just because he may have brain damage does not mean you can get visitaion taken away

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • first of all who has the kids now?????
    second yes call your lawyer let him or her know what is going on they can get records from the hospital
    and tell your lawyer to have them do a drug test on him that will show prove that you need it and yes he can do that or she can do that they need a court order but yes they can
    if you have the 4 basic then you will be fine
    1 roof over the kids head
    2 food in there stumach
    3 cloths on there back
    4 stable home
    you need thoses in order to get your kids good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • Call your lawyer and get the ball rolling! Obviously he has no regard for LIFE!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • I have primary custody, he has them the usual EOW and Wed. I do feel bad for him and hope that he makes it and gets help but on the other hand he has done so many thing over the years that I don't trust him to keep the kids safe and thats not fair to me or the children. What kind of mom would I be knowing he is clearly unstable to allow my kids with him. I could see maybe supervised but I think he needs to focus on himslef and get help before that is a thought.

    Answer by jena2727 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • It never hurts to call a lawyer and ask

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • It's your children's safety that you are worried about. If he goes on a drinking binge while your kids are there who knows what can happen. I can definitely see your point. I would make sure that you get to your lawyer right away. If he can not protect and control himself, imagine what he is doing to your children. If he does come out of it, let the lawyer know that you are not a witch and that you want him to have time with the kids, but until he gets himself in shape and off the booze, then he should only have supervised visitation. In our city, visitation happens at the child support and custody office. It is to protect the kids and the workers. I hope he comes out of this fine and I hope he gets his life back together, for your kids sake. Good luck, and don't wait.


    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • YOU are the only one out there to protect your children so do what you have to do. Start with your lawyer and get advice there. It is possible nothing could change, or he could have supervised visitation, or they may take it away altogether. But you should take the steps to see what you can do, your children depend on you for that.

    Answer by TarLion at 1:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.