baby food????

when did you start giving your baby baby food???? my dd is a lil more than 2 mths old and some ppl are telling me that i should be starting baby food...i thought u werent susposed to start it till 5-6 mths at the earliest

maddie12284

Asked by maddie12284 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are correct, 5-6 months is the appropriate age! Formula or BM has way more nutritional value and calories for baby than food!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I gave my son baby food at -4 1/2 months but only about 4-5 baby spoons of the food not the sweet ones . Then I worked my way up with him and his doctor said that is was fine.
    XoLatina09Xo

Answer by XoLatina09Xo at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I waited until she was about a week shy of 7 months. We don't use the jar baby food, either. I use a mini food processor I have and just grind up the food myself and then freeze in a mini muffin pan. People are always going to have whatever advice they think is best. If you like the advice, try it. If not, just smile and nod and then promptly ignore it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You areright two month is too young. The signs of readiness are the ability to sit up unassisted, the loss of the togue thrust refex, and the ability to bring food to the mouth (these all signal a gut that is prepared to experiment with solid food) and that happens around six months old. FYI cereal is unnecessary, tastes bad and is constipating--just skip it. Jar food is half water and a waste of money!    .  You don't have to get fancy unless you want to.   a lot of people start with mashed soft foods like sweetpotato and avocado.     I recommend the book Babyled Weaning. Read this: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html   and this http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• like amilee said...look for the signs of readiness. some kids really make it obvious that they want to be like you and eat like you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• with my first, three months... AWFUL! people told me i was a bad mom for not giving it to her sooner... my second, nine months... she was exclusively breastfed, so she didn't NEED it. actually, they're saying now that if the baby is breastfed, they don't need food until a year old... before then, it's just exploration. and at 9 months, you can skip all the nasty jar foods and go straight to finger foods.. (baby led feeding.)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010