How old is too old?

Ok Ladies, Please understand that I used to be a single mom so I had all of the responsibilty at one point. Now I am married but I still do the activities after school and on weekends alone. My son is 7 and I take him to Tae Kwon Do about 3 days a week. Mon and Fri we are coming straight from the after school program and work (me). So he has to change into his uniform on site. At what age should I start letting him go into the men's room alone? FYI ....I still take him to the ladies room to use the bathroom as well. Now before you go crazy on me don't forget we live in a crazy world, so who knows what weirdos are lurking in the mens rooms waiting to do God knows what to a helpless kid.

Also ladies you know we have seen some of the most disgusting Ladies Rooms so can you imagine how filthy the mens room can get?..OMG I don't want him so much as touching a door knob in there.

deirdrejones

Asked by deirdrejones at 10:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I took my oldest into the bathroom with me until he was eight. My kids safety comes first! I don't care who likes it or not.
    My son is in karate and they have a changing room at the dojo. I would just have him change there. The only ones who should be in there are the kids. If that is not possible I agree with taking him to change at the after school program.
    Do not feel bad about taking care of your kid. I do not agree with the anon about it being creepy to take your son into the restroom. If she is creeped out, she can leave.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• he's a couple years too old.

its a closed facility right? you can see who goes in and out. if you're really worried about crazies....wait outside the bathroom for a bit, thenlet him in on his own.

I get totally CREEPED out by moms who drag their 6+year olds into the womens room. even 5 is a bit too wierd.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Why not have him change clothes in the bathroom at the After School Program before leaving for Tae Kwan Do class? You know that bathroom is safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• But what if we are at a restaurant or a public place like it?

@Anonymous (1)....I always wondered what the other ladies were saying in their heads. They are probably creeped out as well. But In my defense I take him into the handicapped stall and I help him change quickly (LOL) Still creepy?

deirdrejones

Answer by deirdrejones at 10:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Once boys start school they shouldn't be in a woman's locker room. Many facilities now have family changing rooms for just this situation. You could ask the facility about installing one. Explain your situation and ask for their suggestions.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I am right there with you. Mine lil man is 6 and I take him in the ladies room if we are in a huge crowded place like the mall or movie theater. My hubby takes him to the mens bathroom if he is with us. But, if we are in a smaller less crazy place or safe place like a school function ( private school with lots of safety features) then I stand out side the mens room while he goes by himself. I am starting to let him go in the mens more often, now that he is in school, he is much more aware of the boys vs. girls room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I agree with sleepingbeautee... My son is 5 and goes to school and I still take him in the bathroom with me.. I do not trust ppl I might let him go maybe next year when he is 6 or so but no way right now... I have let him go a few times then I stand next to the door and if he is taking to long as I am freaking out I crack the door and yell for him.. I am sure that FREAKS the guys out but I don't care he is MY son.. if that is what you want to do then do it!! :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 11:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i dont blame you. My son is 6.5 and my husband and I are having this argument. He thinks its fine just to send him in alone to the mens room.

UGGG!!! It scares me and I want to take him IN WITH me to the ladies room.

There are so many pervs out there and I cant stand the thought of someone even looking at my son!!!!!! GROSS!!!!

Most women are mothers and should understand...I DO!!! If I see an older boy in the bathroom with his mom! In fact I commend her!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think that 7 is too old to be going into the ladies room. He's old enough to go into the men's room alone and he can change and wash his hands before he comes out. Most ladies rooms are way more disgusting then men's rooms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• time to cut the umbilical cord there mama.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2010