Little kids Soccer

Does anyone have their 4 year olds in soccer? I am looking at putting my twins in a group for it here and I am just curious how much they actually learn from it at this age. Do the parents push competion or is it mainly a gaggle of little kids running around and laughing?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It depends on the league and the parents. :) My son played at 4. The league started with instructional play at 3 yrs old through 5 yrs old. The coaches were awesome. The kids had fun. They learned the very basics - don't use your hands, aim for THEIR goal not yours. LOL! There wasn't any score keeping and everyone got a trophy at the end of the year. ;) SOME parents got a little too excitable. However, they were the exception not the rule. MOST people were fairly well grounded and just happy to see their kids having a great time and getting some good exercise. One of my favorite memories from my son's soccer days was seeing how 'literal' those kids could be. You'd tell them to stay with the ball....and they would - even if that ball went 4 fields over. LOL! They'd ALL be over on some new field aiming for whatever goal they saw. ha! It was cute. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I had my child in soccer last year at 4 years old. It was really a lot of fun. You can't expect much but it was still fun to watch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My 27 year old son teaches soccer to 4 years old at the Park District in IL. Competition isn't pushed. Kids are running around, laughing and having fun. They're being taught to socialize, how to be a team member, enjoy the game, etc!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Oh good! You hear about all these parents pushing kids to be all stars at young ages. I am just hoping for mine to run off some energy and make a few friends.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I wanted to put my 3 1/2 year old in soccer this spring but my checkbook said no!! When my oldest started playing he was 5 and I would watch the 3 and 4 year olds "play"---it wasn't competitive, it was HILARIOUS. the kids would be all huddled around the ball trying to kick it and the parents would be trying to tell the kids to kick the ball. The coaches were there to teach them about teamwork, sharing, socializing. I thought it was great. Can't wait to sign my youngest up in the fall when he's 4 (hopefully my checkbook says yes this time!) :)
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2010