My son was in the hospital for 8 days and everyone that came brought him a gift....so...

I was HUGELY thankful for these gifts b/c they kept him busy and got his mind off of his sickness.

But now, I feel like he is sort of spoiled and expects gifts...we have talked about how that hospital time was a special time and people wanted to help him be more comfy and now it is over and he needs to quit asking for other new toys.

Am I making a big deal outta this. I just dont want him to be selfish and always want more! ya know ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You need to make him appreciate the fact that people did this for him and now he needs to send out thank you notes! That'll keep him busy!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes, have him write thankyou notes to each person that gave him something. Maybe he can make something like cookies to give to them too. Giving can be just as much fun as getting! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• That's tough. I remember for a while, my children expected gifts for birthdays and christmas to last for weeks. It was hard to tell them that it wasn't so. But they got it eventually. Now, they use their stockings year round and put toys in them to give as "gifts" to their siblings. Does he have siblings? If not, maybe you could do this. They also use small blankets or pillowcases as gift wrap :) They have fun sharing with eachother.
    Shlamoof

Answer by Shlamoof at 11:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think the thank you notes are an excellent idea!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You should make him write Thank You notes for the toys that he did receive and just keep emphasizing that it was just while he was in the hospital.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• He should be writing thank you notes for everyone of those gifts. Just tell him that the gifts were to help make him comfortable while he was in the hospital and he is not going to get anymore toys at this time. Also, when my son was in the hospital and received a bunch of gifts and then kept asking, I told him that if he kept asking I would take all the toys he got and bring them to the hospital for the kids that are sick and didn't get anything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yep, your making a big deal out of nothing. He will learn that it was a one time (I hope for your sake and his) experience and that he has so many people who care about him. My little cousin had cancer when she was very young - about your son's age. She was given everything under the sun because the outcome looked grim. She recovered, is a mom herself now, and turned out just fine. She did have some expectations but it had less to do with gifts and more to do with the attention in general. If I were you I would point out how many people love and care for my son to him and explain how people helped out other than with gifts as well. Focus on the giving of time (food, visits, phone calls, cards) and how much that meant to you. Ask if he can pick one or two items out to donate to the hospital he stayed in or even buy a few toys (new) to donate so he links the concepts of being loved and being lucky to have people who
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• can do those things for him. Some people have lots of support and love but don't have money to buy toys and extras. Help create this time as a teachable moment. Doesn't have to be a big deal. It can be done casually in the car: "Hey, I was thinking. You know how so many people love us and helped us, I was wondering how we can pass that love on to other people. Have any ideas?" Then you can guide him with some ideas of your own. He will follow if you lead him there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You guys are GREAT! Very thoughtful! I bought some card yesterday and we are gonna start working on them right now! ;) thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2010