what's wrong with de-clawing cats???

ok so i'm at the vet inquring about getting my persian de-clawed and some lady in the loby comes up to me and hands me some rude comments on how i shouldn't do that to her and how they actually cut off the first 1/4 of her fingers, and so on. i am aware of the process of de-clawing and i just cannot let her destroy any more stuff in the house. they put her to sleep during the surgery and give her pain meds for after. i don't really like doing it but i am feeling like i need to. my other persian is de-clawed and happy as a clam.
but this lady turns around after inserting her opinion on what i was doing and grabs her min. doberman pin. with his ears clipped and tail docked and walks off. so whats the difference? at least i have a reason on wanting her de-clawed and it's not just for looks. it just seams like people are so against de-clawing cats but don't say much about docking tails and clipping ears. what are your thoughts?

KristaRene

Asked by KristaRene at 12:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pets

• If you have your cat declawed and she ever needed to protect herself she wouldn't be able to. If she wanted to catch a mouse or something she wouldn't be able to do that either. My only problem with it is if for some reason it was outside rather it be she ran away, or she using the bathroom whatever. If there was a predator out there, there would be nothing she could do.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Me being a vet student, thinks its ur pet-u do what u want. as long as its not physically hurting them.. its just like neuter or spaying.they say its removing part of what makes a cat a cat. or a male a male. ppl frown upon it. but ppl will always frown about something that u do that they dont like. who cares. its not their decision. its just like vegetarains an reg ppl- omnivores. get ur cat de-clawed if u want. an to hell on what other ppl think about ur decision.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You just need to make sure your cat is kept inside at all times for his safety. The claws are the only real protection they have but if they are kept inside then it's not a big concern. Personally I have a bigger problem with people cutting off animals ears & tails for looks only.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My only reason to be against it is that they then can't protect themselves and you never know what is going to happen. But you also need to protect your stuff. It's your choice.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I would never declaw a cat because it is unnecessary surgery. I have two cats and I have intact furniture. On the other hand I would never clip ears or dock tails. Those are also unnecessary. Of course I have heard of a cat that got out of his house, was attacked by a dog, the dog bit its stomach, causing permanent loss of tummy to the cat and the cat couldn't defend himself because of no front claws. You can teach a cat to not claw up your furniture. It just takes work.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I agree with everyone else here, that is their only protection, but as long as you make sure he does not go outside, (which in my opinion is also cruel) it is ok.

Answer by older at 12:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Talk to your vet about observing the procedure. You might change your mind after watching it done. I work at a vet and have seen it done many times. It is not something that i recommend people do unless they have a very valid reason. There are cases where declawing is the best option but behavioral modifications should be tried first. This should not be something to jump to automatically.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I've de-clawed all the cats ive had and my father did too. My cat growing up, was porch trained, but even without his front claws, he learned to lay back and use his back claws if he needed to. And the mouse argument is ridiculous. He caught every mouse in the house. I see nothing wrong with it. They feel the need to sharpen their claws on everything, that and sometimes they play a lil rough, so it is better for the kids.
    Anonymous

• how is keeping a car inside cruel? neither one will even try and go outside, they are terrified of the outside. they don't even like the front door open. my daughter is always all scratched up though and so is a lot of furniture. i don't have mice in the house so i don't see that as a problem. but i really just don't get the huge controversy over it but not with docking tails.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 1:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• as far as being necessary, that is in the eye of the beholder. the last straw was my daughter having a big scratch on her cheek next to her eye. i don't want to get rid of the cat. she was expensive and a part of the family now and i have watched her interact with my kids and she likes them, she just isn't careful with her claws. i see de-clawing along the lines of spaying and neutering. they are surgery and probably not pleasant to watch but a lot of people would agree they are needed. docking a tail is purely for looks. i don't think there is anything wrong with that either though.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 1:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2010