Making New Friends

I'm in my later 30's. My husband and I moved to a new area a few years ago and I've been spending most of that time trying to make new friends. I'll find one or two people that I really click with and everything is going great and then *BAM* either they completely change or we slowly (or quickly) drift apart.

I complain to my husband about it and he says this is why he doesn't even try to make new friends. Is this normal? All I want is someone I can talk to and relate to and hang out with every now and again...is this really too much to ask?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I have lived in the same town for over 20 years and we dont have many friends to hang with at all. Its the way it is. Good friends are few and far between. It seems we always have to initiate and keep the friendships going and we are sick of it. We are each others best friends and we just try to do creative things together and enjoy each other. Good luck.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i'm 21. lived here since i was 13 and STILL dont have any friends! :-( i havent had a "friend" (like a true friend) since i was about 6 or 7.. and even at that age, those friendships may change and drift apart, so i dont even know if they would've remained as a true friend and not just as a playdate... so technically, i've never had friends.

my life is SO fucked up!
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 1:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It is so funny (not ha-ha funny) to see this question here today. I have struggled to keep friends my entire life. I work so hard trying to nurture and keep a friendship going that when it's obvious that it's not working out, I just feel so drained. I'm in one of those moments right now. I really "clicked" with a woman whose daughter goes to school with mine. We just met in September, hit it off wonderfully, and although we had a bit of a rough patch for a month we were able to overcome without problems. We would hang out a couple times a week while the kids were in school and, quite honestly, it was great. But alas, in the past month or two, things are different. It just seems that I'm working hard in keeping the friendship going and she's slacking not caring if it ends or not. It's extremely unfortunate that this seems to be the story of my life in regards to friendships. I'm just so tired.....
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Agreed. It sucks, I was so much better at this in high school! I mean I was everyone's friend! Now I am awkward, and (I think) boring.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010