How does your child misbehave?

I read on here that people spank their kids or they put them in time out or whatever. What does your child do to misbehave?
My kids are not perfect, but do not go out of their way to misbehave. I am not sure if I am just picking my battles differently or if I ignore some of the things that bother other people...anyway, just curious. My kids did get spanked for danger "violations" like running into the street or stuff like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• What age group are you talking about? I'm wondering specifically when you're saying "What were you doing and where were you?" Yes, parenting is hands on, but at some point, you really won't be there all the time. Your child will have some more independence. They will have other outside exposure. And in turn, discipline will require modification. My kids are *good* kids. They are polite and considerate. They look out for others. They respect authority. BUT, they are kids and sometimes they slip up. Sometime they talk back. Sometimes they get angry or frustrated and they lash out with words...and sometimes they shove each other. There's a time and place for positive reinforcement - and a time and place for reprimand. I give them a reminder of rules / expectations. If they want to continue debating/ignoring - they can cool off in their room or lose a privilege. They are good kids because they understand there's consequences.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My son has been spanked for getting up in my face and yelling at me and pulling his fist back at me.Before that time,he was spanked once when he was about 7 when he took off and I searched every where for him and I couldnt find him.I was just about to call the police when he came trotting out of someones apartment. When we got home,I spanked him. He never took off like that again.
    He has had time outs for backtalking,yeah mostly back talking,the kids got a mouth on him lol.
    Hes been grounded for acting up at school,being silly in class and not completing his homework.
    Now,I must say..I threaten to spank his rear far more than it is actually done.
    He really is a good kid,just that mouth!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• What do you mean by backtalking? I agree I would definitely spank in the issue of raising a fist at you. Could any of that be prevented?
    Anonymous

• standing on the cabinets, after i tell her to stop. she has a stool, she can get it if she really wants to see whats going on. or, if its something that she can help with, then i let her sit on the counter (shes 3). she will sit in the corner for that. mostly things like that, not listening when she knows the rules. for the most part she listens, but when she doesnt, i dont want her to think its ok & me create a monster.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Let's see...just my 9yo yesterday I caught her trying to steal cookies and then lied right to my face about it (after I caught her in the act). She refused to pick up her room when she was told and then got into a fight with her sister (the one she shares a room with). She asked to use the computer to do research for a school project which I allowed but stated she was NOT allowed to play games on the computer. I caught her 4 times playing a game instead of doing her homework. She threw a tantrum when it was time to take a shower.
    She regularly slams doors, screams at me, throws tantrums over little things, flat out refuses to do any chores, doesn't do her homework, likes, steals from us, convinces her siblings to do things she knows is wrong so she won't get in trouble when they are caught.
    Mostly she is grounded for this stuff. Spanking only comes when she continues to act up after being grounded, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My other kids don't behave like that and usually only get punished for refusing to clean their rooms. My son (8 1/2) did get in trouble yesterday for ripping his little sister's drawing for no reason other then she was staring at him while he was watching TV and he didn't like it. I originally sent him to the corner but he got mad and said he'd rather just go to his room for the rest of the day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Jen,
    How old is your daughter?
    Anonymous

• Too all...where were YOU and what were YOU doing when this all was happening? I know that life happens and I am not trying to be accusing, just trying to listen to you and find out in retrospect how this could have been changed. (For what it is worth I am teaching a parenting class, and i want to know what you are thinking...how could things be handled differently, so that instead of the discipline needing to happen...the misbehavior is stopped before it begins.)
    Anonymous

• My son is like the first poster. A mouth on him. And the raised fist. Mostly he is almost angelic, but, he has his moments. Oh, and I have tried everything for his mouth....it started the minute he could string a sentence together. I could tell him no for doing something and he would be like "You don't tell me no. I can do it."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Are you trying to have a conversation with real moms or are you trying to point fingers. You're way of parenting is no better than any of ours. You asked a question, we answered. We are not asking your advice on how to change our parenting.Kids are not perfect and they are going to act up,mouth off,press your buttons and do things they were told not to do. We take care of the problems as it happens. We talk to our children,well,at least I know I do. But they still do off the wall things. Don't talk prevention to me. I know what I'm doing. Were not in your parenting class.
    Anonymous