Charter Schools-What do you know about them?

I have been looking to find a better school for my son since the one he is at isn't working well for him. He has an IEP and needs structure and routine in his school day. So I was checking into this new charter school where I live called Imagine School in the Valle. Since it is about the only one near where I live. The only problem is that the management company that runs them seems to have some issues. Most of there schools seem to have a good reputation and there are quite a few in different states. They have one other school here called Imagine 100 Academy. It seems that the schools here run by this company Imagine Inc. keep having problems. Most recently the Imagine 100 Academy had some incidents with arson on the campus that from what I heard on the news wasn't reported the way it should be. Then there is all this talk about them being for profit. So does anyone know anything about this school or company?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son will be going to a charter high school next year and I can assure you that ALL the teachers are REQUIRED to be certified and degreed in order to teach at it. No where in the state of Wisconsin can a person teach and not be certified. The charter high school he will be going to is a Delta Project school. It is project and community service based. Projects go across core curriulum (math, science, social studies and english). Character development is also taught. They not only get academic grades but a character grade for each class. There are 440 students in grades 9-12 and there will never be anymore than that. The Delta Project schools are funded in part by Bill Gates and his wife. There is a dress code, high parental involvement and lots of one on one attention so that any student that wants to succeed, will. The student projects are COLLEGE level. Most charter schools are amazing. Go for a tour to find out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Go visit. I know that it is EXTREMELY important for a school to be accredited by a reputable organization.

There are  a few very good and accredited charter school around where I live, but before they were accredited, their graduates had to get GEDs in order for their transcripts to be recognized for college entrance.  Not as important at this age, but something to keep in mind.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• that the teachers don't have to be certified to teach and most of the time kids with special needs dont' get the attention they need to due to financial circumstances you don't have to have a license to teach can you imagine the outcome of a child who attended a charter school?
    Anonymous

• I know that in some places teachers don't have to be certified but if you look that is not the case in most states.
    Anonymous

• I have been to the school the only thing is they are in the YMCA right now so it is hard to tell. Next year they will be in there own building. That is the other worry they opened earlier than they would have because of problems with the school district here. They didn't want them to open from what I understand due to some issues with there other school. Plus because of them being new and all some of the classes have 30 or more kids in them. Although this is not the norm for there other schools.
    Do you know if the Delta Academy is by the same company as the Delta Project. I wonder how I could find out.
    Anonymous

• My son goes to an Imagine School and I can honestly tell you its the best school I have ever seen. The classes are smaller, the teachers are more attentive and there is a focus on education in ways you wouldnt expect. Go to their home website (www.imagineschools.com) and look into their programs. They have one called Micro Society that blew me away. My son is 10 years old and wrote a basic business plan, the plan was accepted and he opened a "micro business". They interviewed and hired all their employees, manage inventory, payroll and scheduling. He has a weekly pay check that he has to pay for his "mirco cellphone" and any other "micro" based item he wants. He has to budget his money and do his banking.
    Now that being said, the quality of the school varies by location. Google the school and look for reviews. There is a site out there that lets parents review the school but I can't think of it. Google that too :) Good Luck!
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 6:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• OP: I think the Delta Project and the Delta Academy are 2 different things. You can google Delta Project and find out. I am new to the charter school and just know what I was told from the principal and through information at the school. I visitied the school and talked to kids that attend and they all love it. I have talked to kids that were failing before they went to the charter school and now are on honor roll. I know that the charter school my son will be in, has no more than 440 students total and will not have anymore than that. It is meant to be a small, close knit school where the kids are held accountable for their own progress and actions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010