Views on holidays

The other day some one said that holiday's where evil and turned from evil to good when they where converted to a new faith. An Anon pointed out that you could say they where good and holy and turned evil by those that converted them.
I wonder when people claim that the other is evil do people stop and realize how it could be turned like this? Do people look at that and consider how they would view having thier faith called evil by others every day?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No people don't stop and think when they make those comments. If they did, they'd realize that it's hateful and not what their all loving god would want them to say.

It's about acting superior in order to FEEL superior, when in reality they know they are no better than the pagans or atheists or whoever else they are crapping on:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It is one of the luxuries of being "right," getting to call the paths of others evil. It is what is wrong with monotheism & literal translations of myth. Our holidays are what they are, very old themes that each group tweaks to fit their mythology. Few of them have ever had any elements you could call evil or even negative to any degree.

Anonymous

• For me, it's not about turning it from evil to good, I believe that God views the worship given to other gods unacceptable FOR HIM, as I posted in another thread, it's like asking your new wife to wear the nightie that your ex-wife use to wear because it was pretty, would you wear it if he said "look how pretty it is with all that lace !!! or what if he wanted to take you to all their favorite places and make out? would that sit well with you? (you as in general)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think maybe the person making the comment about turning evil to good said it because she didn't like the way the original question was phrased.

You make a good point lisarose however even if I wouldn't want to do everything the ex-wife did, I would find it tedious to try and avoid everything the exwife did/went/wore.  If I liked a restaurant before, I'm going to like it after and I'd still enjoy going, hypothetically speaking.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• This is my thought and why: http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_14.htm 

Anonymous

• I think it completely absurd to call someones faith or beliefs evil. If their beliefs aren't causing harm, how could they be evil? The idea that if something doesn't fit the mold of one person's beliefs it must be wrong sickens me and I really get tired of it! I have also been very off put by the idea that if you take something that once belonged to a faith you label as "evil" and put your own spin on it all of a sudden it's now sacred... This is the idea and reason that the majority of today's holidays drive me nuts! People feel Easter, Christmas and other days are meant to be holy, sacred and Christian, all the while they use the symbols and traditions of the same Pagan faiths they claim are evil... How can you have it both ways?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Most people do not claim them to be evil. One person said that, and some agreed with it. Many more don't.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• "Most people do not claim them to be evil. One person said that, and some agreed with it. Many more don't."

^This.
    Anonymous

• I understand it is not most that is why I only asked about those that felt the need to do so. It seems to go in cycles in this section for a while it is nice and respectful (for the most part never a 100%) and people play half way nice, and than we get over that part of the cycle and the claws some out and every post has really harsh bashing in it. Thing that most people here would discipline their kids for saying.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2010