I feel like Im raising a monster.

SO, my 16 month old has always been a "high needs" baby. Mty husband left us 3 weeks ago out of state. I moved in w/ my mother. But my kid cries for hours straight. I hold him, he arches his back; I put him down, he throws a tantrum & bangs his head on the ground. HE is self destructive & hits + bites + kicks me. IT is outta control. I do all I can to give him attention & try to figure out what he wants. I am at my wits end!! We gave gone outside, played, read, walked around the house, ate, drank, tried a nap...NOTHING is working. I even try to ignore him, but hours of crying is NOT cool. Any advice is welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's probably teething really bad! Give him a popsicle, teething tablet, or Tylenol/Motrin for pain. I bet that would help. Poor baby...and you! Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• He could also be reacting to all the stress that is going on in your life as well. My ss had eczema when he was little, if there was any fighting going on around him you could see the sores on his face start to get so red and nasty looking.

Hopefully things work out for you, to be honest, I'm not even sure what to suggest you could do for him. Try the teething advice. In any case, it couldn't hurt, even if he isn't teething.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It sounds like a phase. I think be patient and make sure he knows who's boss. My 1 year old throws tantrums and I have started to tell her 'No' loudly and to discipline her. I refuse to have an out of control child (no matter how cute and helpless she seems, I know she understands the word No.). Crying won't kill him. If crying killed kids none of them would be alive!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My sons temper tantrums have gotten bad and hes the same age....but honestly he cant look me in the face yet and say mom im mad, or mom i want this...so when i take something away that he thought he could play with thats his reaction..it works my nerves, but after he throws a fit and gets NO attention from it, he comes and wants to give me hugs and kisses and play. My son is teething really bad too...so i would def. agree with the tylenol and teething tablets..... and kids DEF. react to our stress...so if your uptight he will be too!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• thanks ladies! OP here- HE is teething. I try to avoid seeming stressed. It is hard when I am around him 24/7. It is probly just a bad day.
    Anonymous