How do i entertain a newborn??

My daughter is a few weeks old and is starting to stay awake for longer periods of time. Any suggestions on what to do to entertain her? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to her, sing to her, play with her arms and legs (gently). I would wear my son in a wrap and dance with him pretty much from day one. Just be gentle and loving and she'll love pretty much anything you do.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• hold her, play with a rattle with her...my son rarely stayed awake for more than a couple hours during that time..by the time we tried entertainment he was closing his eyes to go back to sleep!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You can read to her, or play music. Mine seemed to like the sound of my voice. I wouldn't do TV or loud noises, that can freak them out.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You don't need to entertain her. You can wear her in a sling and include her in your everyday activities. What young babies need is the warmth of their mother's bodies and milk from their mother's breasts. Keeping your baby close to your body is called in-arms or attachment parenting. You might like to read more about it by searching on google.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I wore mine in a sling/wrap. They don't need to be entertained at that age, just loved, held close, changed & fed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think when my daughter was that age I would just sit and stare at her - babies are so amazing! I agree with all of the above though, they definitely don't need entertainment like toys or anything, mine used to stare at the fan for hours...but I think talking to them or singing is a comfort as well as holding and feeding them. Just enjoy it - it goes by SO fast... :(
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You don't have to entertain babies. They find YOU and your daily activities exceedingly fascinating. It is all new to them. If you wear your baby in a sling or wrap and go about your business day to day, that is entertainment enough. Other than that, just talk, kiss, and touch. They love that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yeah, you don't have to entertain her... you can talk to her while you're doing things and whatever, but there's A LOT of stuff for her to be looking at and taking in. And babies that are a few weeks old still sleep quite a bit.... generally speaking of course.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 3:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my daughter does that to. she loves to look at the ceiling fan off. and if you play with there legs and feet like as if they where riden a bike it is considered bonding time. and it also relieve's gas~
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 2:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2010