anyone experience their child being allergic to cats?

i have a newborn that just turn 4 months and i took her to the dr yesterday with a rash. the assistant asked if we had cats. yes we have 2. then the dr came in and asked if we have done anything different that would explain the break out. i had tried breaking her sleeping habit of waking up during the night (since at 2 months old they could start sleeping through the night and all my other babies have which she did for a short while) so i had put her in her room in her crib which she has not used. accept for a nap here or there. anyway when i put her down i first noticed that the cat was in her bed which is a regular habit of hers and i noticed cat hair. so i took a rag wiped up the cat hair and put a blanket down under her. that is the only thing different that has occured. could her allergies be managed or do i have to get rid of them? my concern is it would turn out it wasn't the cats. she has lots of red spots some con't

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pets

• my son is allergic...i guess the best thing to do (what my allergy doc told us) would be to get rid of them but if you can't live without them then there are some things you can do. You can get rid of curtains, carpets, rugs...if you do have carpets you should vacuum daily. The best thing though is to get hardwood floors. leather sofas are easier to clean. Also change bedding every other day. You just have to think of the dander sticking to all the stuff. My son's meds help so we don't have to get rid of our cats but when its pollen season it makes it harder on him being in the house and we just have to keep things extra clean.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• that have form a cluster patch. i have to mention that were having problem with the skin under her neck getting red and irritated and the dr's have given her 2 steriods one being cream and the other liquid. and then amox. they don't seem to think she is allergic to either one of the 3 meds. i would like to see if i could have the cats removed & then bring them back later and see what happens. although i don't like the thought of reinfacting her skin. my husband has never liked cats or my cats and is quik to say goodie lets get rid of them & now we have an excuse to rather then seeing if it really is the cats or not. the other dr has my baby scheduled to come back in and a referral set up to see a dermatologist about her original skin problem and thought i could ask the specialist what he thought or if he could determine that. once again if you child was allergic what did the spots look like? did you have to get rid of cats etc
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It's not a "habit" of waking at night for a 4 month old. It's normal. A baby's brain needs to be fed to grow. Sleeping through the night is too long to go without food.

Human babies are designed to breastfeed and slep with their mothers. Mother and baby have a symbiotic relationship and they get on similar sleep cycles because they can smell each other's pheromones. When baby wakes to feed mother is in light sleep. Mother doesn't feel tired because night feedings are not difficult.

Human babies cry if they wake and mother is not there. They are not supposed to be alone and they are not safe. An animal could get them or other bad things could happen. These things are hardwired in a baby's brain. It's the way humans are supposed to be. It's not a habit.

In most places in the world mother's breastfeed and sleep with their babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Have her tested for cat allergy.
    Gailll

• My daughter has had her cats for 5 years and now had just become allergic. For her it makes her nose run, eyes itch, and aggivates her asthma. I am currently trying to find homes for them but all the shelters are full and won't take them. It really stinks being in a position like this. I hate seeing her struggle for air, but it's also breaking her heart that they have to go. She cries just thinking about it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My daughter broke out from her cat too. The cat would curl up by her head to sleep. You don't need to get rid of the cat. Just keep the cat out of her room.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• yep, keep cats out of bedrooms too and i doubt they can check your 4 month old for allergies...you may have to wait a few yrs
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• 4 months is really early for an allergy to cats to show up, and I don't think a doctor will do allergy testing on someone that young. Usually, it takes much longer for that kind of allergy to develop. I am allergic to cats, and I have lived with cats my entire life. I agree with the previous posters that you should keep the cats out of the baby's bedroom; that is one of the first things the doctor suggested to me in dealing with my cat allergy. You also might consider giving the cats a bath from time to time. I have never had a skin rash caused by my cat allergy; it causes sneezing and my eyes and nose itch.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I'm allergic to cats. Whenever I'm in a room with a cat for more than 10 minutes, my lungs get tight, feels like I'm breathing through a straw, nose starts running, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, eyes start itching and feel swollen... being allergic to cats is miserable. No amount of allergy meds can help the feeling of being stuffed up and itchy.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 12:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2010