potty training ... I KNOW consistency is key, but...

My daughter has been doing really well with potty training and has been in underwear during the day (including naps) for almost 3 weeks now. But she goes to nursery school for 5 hours, twice a week. That has been the ONLY exception to the underwear rule. At home she's getting good at telling us when she needs to go, but will still have occasional accidents if we don't take her ourselves... at home we almost never take her ourselves, because we want her to learn to take the initiative and we're equipped for accident-clean-up . But if someone took her once an hour, she would not have an accident.

The issue here is that after a day of pull-ups at school, she has a HORRIBLE day at home... she starts peeing her pants every 20 minutes. So the pull-ups are clearly hindering her progress. MY QUESTION: can I ask the teachers to deal with her in underwear? She's only 18 months, so no one else in her class is trained.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kid's daycare will deal with underwear, but the kids are there full-time 5 days a week. My daughter wears panties at daycare, and if she has several accidents (hasn't happened yet) they will switch her back to a pull up or diaper for the rest of the day. I don't know if it would be different at Nursery School, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
    Anonymous

• 18 months? and does ok when you take her but won't really tell you if she needs to go- BEFORE she needs to go? does she seem annoyed with a dirty diaper or pull-up?... most 2 year olds aren't even potty trained- and only some 3 yr olds at the daycare I worked at were. I'm wondering if it might be just a little too soon for her
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• She does tell us BEFORE she needs to go about 90% of the time, we're just not up to 99% yet. She hated having a dirty diaper. She would bring us a new one. She is dry after a 4 hour nap and about 50% of mornings. She even wakes up and asks to go some nights. She asked to sit on the potty every time her big sis did.
    Anonymous

• *sorry- meant to rephrase that a little- i did see that you said she tells you...
    well, I gotta say that is pretty good for her age- all you can do is ask the school if they will help with it or not
    good luck
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010