I'm scared of post partum depression

I suffered through it with all my children. I was going to get fixed right before I found out I was pregnant. And while I"m excited to have another baby, I"mterrified that I'm going to go down hill again. My dh insists that he will be here for me this time and has bought me the best vitamin and mineral supp on the market, got me a gym membership (doc says taht will help), Has committed to a diet plan with me, the doc is ready to put me on meds if it becomes nessesary, Everyone has agreed to my birthing plan, We have all our kids on a shedual and dh has been very commited to it. His mom will be up for a week to care for me, then my mom, then friends off and on will take turns so that I'm not alone for the first several weeks. Yet still I'm terrified. Last time it got so bad that I started hearing and seeing things that werent there and I'd have these vivid and horrible nightmares about people torturing my kids......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• And I could do nothing to protect them. I was terrified to sleep and the sleep deprevation got to me quickly. I even ended up on suicide watch after I dissapeared and my dh couldn't find me I( it was 98 outside and I locked myself in a car and took sleeping pills. Everyone isists that it will be better and everyone will be there for me... but I'm still so terrified. I was like a completely different person, I'm so scared to become that person again. I don't know what to do.
    Anonymous

• Look at the people around you who have joined iove to honor you. All of the plans are in place from early on with so many many people who love you as the person you are, a human first. Second to that a wife next a mom then a pregnant mom.

Stop think of so many arms reaching to you ready to help with an event that is draining and hard for every mom having a baby.

If these people did truly truly love you absolutely plans would not be set in place. Trust your love of yourself, your children to follow their love to good health.

You're talking about being scared but you're not talking about being angry that these plans with others help are in place. That's good -it's not unusual to feel scared to be afraid to take care of a new life and another child. I don't have depression but I've taken care of my kids and myself through all illnesses etc. It is draining so hard.

Focus on help you have. It's help to stay healthy.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It sounds like you and your doctor, your husband feel that going on medicine after baby's birth would be good. But you're not saying that's something you want to do or think you might do. If you're thinking of not going on depression medicine because you feel obligated for your own desires or guilt to breastfeed. I can tell you that you can still absolutely bond with your baby in bottlefeeding. I've breastfed babies and breast and bottled fed another baby. The bottle didn't make me feel less of a mother.

Take care of yourself. See if you can get weekly appointments, if you don't have that already, with your ob to help you through your worries even though plans are in place 'in case' and 'for when' it's time for --- meds and then birth plans.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Find a psychologist now to work with you. Find a counselor that works with women with ppd.

Birthing plans are nice but they are not contracts. Don't expect the plan to be followed. Hire a labor doula to help give you the birth you want and decrease your chances of C-section.

Breastfeed. The mothering hormones will help. You can breastfeed and take antidepressants and mood stabilizers. You can contact a La Leche League Leader for more info. www.kellymom.com has great breastfeeding info.

Don't expect a newborn to be on a schedule. It's an unreal expectation that could make your ppd worse. Some babies are never on a schedule. They don't have to be on a schedule for you to cope. You can surrender to the baby way.

Hire a college girl or teen to be a mother's helper and come in the afternoons to help with housework and getting supper cooked.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010