baby sleeping...

my 10 week old son has slept all night for the past 2 nights. i thank god for that! but he eats like 4.5 oz every 3 hours and he ate nothing for like 7 to 8 hours. im scared hes not getting all his nutrients bc of that. i think i should start feeding him 5 oz right before bed and when he wakes up. what do u think?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im in the exact same boat. and ive been told here and by pediatricians to let him sleep....
    heyjudeboy1223

Answer by heyjudeboy1223 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't think you should let babies sleep. That is going too long for the brain to be without nourishment.

It's normal for human babies to sleep with their mothers and breastfeed several times at night. That's how it's always been until less than 200 years ago. That's how it is in most of the world today. So human brains are supposed to be getting nourishment several times at night.

If you formula feed the baby's blood sugar will fall. There won't be enough sugar for the brain development. Breain development is the most important task in the first year. The baby's body may try to get sugar from other sources in it's body but that's not normal and would have metabolic consequences.

If you choose to formula feed is seems to me you should do so in a way that causes the least harm to your baby. That would include feeding the baby at night even if they are asleep.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• its what parents look for in babys. that first quiet night. i let him sleep, but he is also on cereal as well which expands in the body and allows the baby to be nourished long after milk.
    heyjudeboy1223

Answer by heyjudeboy1223 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• they are getting enough food through the day, cereal, baby food plus formula. they will be fine! its healthy for them to get enough sleep too, and if you wake them up to feed, then they will get used to that and thats not a fun habit to break! My son is also 10mo old and every now and then he will sleep all night & im so thankful!! Good luck & just know that if hes STARVING he will wake up!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My 4 kids all were sleeping 8 plus hours/night at 2 months and none of them have suffered any ill effects. If he'll take the extra ounces and it makes you more comfortable, then go ahead. Mine were breastfed and tended to eat longer in the mornings, but I think it was more for comfort and because they were still a little sleepy rather than needing extra nourishment.

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Rice cereal isn't very nourishing and constipates quite a lot of babies.

I personally, would not let my baby, at that age, sleep more than 5 hours, 6 would have been my absolute limit unless it was a growth spurt and lasted only a couple of days. I don't want to wake a sleeping baby but that is just too long for me. Besides, if breastfeeding, the engorgement would have been a recipe for mastitis.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• If the dipe count is good, no panicking needed. Now that you've published the schedule you've cursed yourself anyway...baby will wake every two hours. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• His growth is the most important. If you are worried, try feeding at 3 hours instead of 3.5. I do NOT wake up sleeping babies, unless there are growth problems. By 10 weeks, you've already got everything established. Babies do what comes naturally, and if he's sleeping, it is what his body needs. I would respect that, provided he is growing normally and such. If he's on formula, that sounds relatively normal If you're bottle feeding breastmilk, it takes less time to pass through, so definitely check his weight gain.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have never woke my babies to feed them. Once they started sleeping good I let them. I always just went by when the baby is hungry they will let us know and I feed. If they are getting a great amount during the day then I wouldn't wake him. JMO tho. Some are different. If he is gaining weight and growing well, don't worry about it. My daughter was eating 4 oz or more at that age every 2-3 hours. Follow those mother instincts. You'll know, I promise! Don't worry about over feeding either. He will let you know when he's had enough or when he needs more!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2010