How do I get the pee smell out?

We don't have the $ to buy anything currently and all of dd's clothes smell like pee. Is there a home remedy I can use or something?

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use vinegar when I wash cloth diapers, and it takes the smell out. If the smell is in carpet (as it probably will be during potty training), there is a product called Nix that has enzymes that work on the smell. It is the best product I've found.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Baking soda, put it in the laundry

Answer by louise2 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think vinegar is supposed to work...I would google it but I think you can add vinegar to your wash.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Wash them. If they are washed they should not smell like that. If they do then it is the water that needs to be checked.
    Anonymous

• Not to start a argument but washing clothes once doesn't always get the smell out. If the urine had a super strong smell to it because of an imbalance in the person, then it can take a couple washings. I have heard of the Baking Soda trick. I also found that if I washed them once and they still had the smell, I needed to rinse out my washer then wash the clothes a second time before drying them. Good luck
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 3:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• put them in the washer and let them soak in Oxyclean (or use sun oxygen cleaner, it's cheaper and I think it works better) for an hour, then wash them with soap and Clorox2. Even the stuff that really stinks seems to come clean. Good Luck.
    p.b.

Answer by p.b. at 5:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Check the washer, if it smells, run it on the rinse cycle with some vinegar added to the water.

After that, soak the clothes in either a vinegar/water or baking soda/water solution before rewashing them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Go to Walmart and buy some Pet Out in the pet department. It has enzymes that eliminate organic odors. It smells nice, too.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Washing with vinegar and then washing with regular detergent has gotten pee smell out of couch cushions, clothes and just about any cloth that's been pee'd on in my house. (Even gets out animal pee.)
    CrystalsMuse

Answer by CrystalsMuse at 8:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• use vinegar in your wash...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2010