Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

shoulder/neck/upper back pain...please help

O.k. I will try to explain this as best I can in words.....

I have had a pain, sore muscle, whatever in my upper right shoulder blade for months now...kinda feels like it's under my shoulder blade...well I just let it go, it wasnt' really too bad.

Now it is more painful...and the area between my shoulder blades (from the middle and up to my neck/head) has some sharp pains, when I turn my neck one way or down with my chin in my chest...

Also...have you ever had the feeling where, when you are putting too much pressure on a certain part of your body, then you let up on that get that rush of cooling sensation coming back..... I get that now quite often when I rotate my shoulder and massage my neck and that goes all the way up my head.

Would I be better served by seeing a family practiioner or a chiropractor?

Answer Question

Asked by lolamac at 3:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Massage Therapist would serve you best. You more than likely, from your explanation, have adhesion in your infraspinatus causing an increase in tension from muscle memory issues. Your practitioner would give you pain meds, maybe surgery. Chrio would refer you to a Massage Therapist.
    An MT would be able to isolate the adhesion's get them to relax, help restore oxygen to the muscle tissue (the cooling sensation is a result of lowered O2 levels) and help you figure out why you had the problems to begin allowing you to adjust your lifestyle as needed to prevent the pain in the future.
    When shopping for a therapist ask a lot of questions if your not in a regulated state find out what their educational background is. Most states do regulate MT's though.

    Answer by Marsella at 3:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • Oh, and if you find an independant MT you tend to get way better prices on services.

    Answer by Marsella at 3:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • Are MT generally covered by Ins?

    Answer by lolamac at 3:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

  • In a lot of states they are. Not all though. If your in a state that doesn't cover massage than your Ciro would have a billing code he could use as an add on to Ciro care. Find one that has a therapist on staff and your good to go.

    Answer by Marsella at 5:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.