Are you ashamed to be an American?

I guess president Obama think's we all ought to be

President Obama orders the U.S. army in Haiti not to fly our flag while giving Aid to the people of Haiti.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• I am not ashamed to be an American, although I am somewhat ashamed of what some of our leaders are doing. Not just lately either. Leaders of countries often do dumb stuff. It is possible that Obama made this order to keep the more desperate of the Haitians from joining forces and overrunning the posts and endangering the lives of our troops? I didn't read the link.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Link says that those from other countries have their flags up
    Anonymous

• I'm not so much ashamed as I am a little impressed. I bet our forefathers would be pissed if they saw what was going on today. I assure you this is not what they had in mind when they broke their backs making this country.
    Anonymous

• the source bothers you? Did you even read it because it contains links ot other sources such as this one http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/03/ap_haiti_flag_031510/

Anonymous

• There were fears that it was more occupation than aid. going in and sticking our flag on their land is just stupid. Let them be a part of the humanitarian aid..God don't care what flag you wave

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Face it Obama only wears the flag lapel because so many got upset about it all.He goes around apologizing for America constantly..and now this.It doesn't surprise me at all...we have a lousy president
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I agree with sweet-a-kins - that's what I was just going to say...initially there were accusations or suspicions the US was using the tragedy as an excuse to 'invade' or occupy the land; as we have a habit of not leaving wherever we've gone...

I feel this was likely done in an effort to quell those worries...Sometimes we read more into things than there needs to be.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Beach you can think i'm reading into or whatever but 2+2=4 to me.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Anything's possible TN - I'm not in their heads (not that I'd want to be; lol) and perhaps more thought should be put into how things that may seem one way at the time can look later down the road...I don't know really - but this just doesn't feel like an apology so much; esp after the initial claims that we were coming to stay and take over...

I'm sure it's not a popular opinion; but it's my feeling that if we're in another country giving aid or assistance; then that is the one and only time our flag should be flown below another...that being the flag of whatever country we're offering aid in...that would signify respect...in my mind anyway...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2010