Not to start anything but when did teen pregnancy become 'cute' and 'acceptable'

When I was in school there was maybe 2 openly pregnant girls the whole time. (I am not naive I am sure there was others who just left the school or hid it well) But why was there so few? because you were labeled a hussy and as loose. It was embarrassing to be pregnant at 15, 16, 17... It was considered socially unacceptable. Now my high school daughter has no less than 8 pregnant girls in her 9th grade class alone. She talked about how 'cute' their bellies are and how 'fun' it is to look at the ultrasounds and talk about baby names Now I am in no way saying that the girls don't deserve support to help but when did it become 'okay? When did it become no longer an emabraasment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's really neither cute nor acceptable.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• never to me
    heyjudeboy1223

Answer by heyjudeboy1223 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• They don't need support they need to be taught that this is unacceptable in the first place. When I was in high school I think maybe one girl got pregnant the whole time that anyone knew of. Everyone just kind of pretended she didn't exist and didn't acknowledge the pregnancy. I agree it's ridiculous and if we were a little less supportive maybe all these teens wouldn't think it was so cute.
    Anonymous

• Probably when schools began operating free daycare facilities on campus. It's ridiculous.  Why should other teens be given the impression that having a baby is easy?

Anonymous

• I'm curious to know this too. When I was in scool,these girls were ashamed to have gotten pregnant because they were seen as irresponsible for not using protection. They were shunned.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• yeah i just posted this same thing a few weeks ago..there were actually women(not even teen moms) justifying it and saying it was ok. they gave examples of women hundreds of years ago who had kids in their teens. to me that was very ignorant and obviously live in a fantasy world like these girls who want to have a baby to match their new purse. i'm disgusted by teen pregnancy, not accidental, but deliberate teen pregnancy. these little girls live in a fantasy and need to be woken up to the reality that they are TOO YOUNG to be parents...these days girls think its cool to be a mom so young and society does nothing to discourage it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Intersting question. I have no idea though. When I was freshman in high school 15 years ago, there were very few pregnant girls there. No one though it was particularly adorable and, while some finished school, some just left. By the time I graduated it was more common to the point that there was a special brand new bus equipped with top of the line heating and air conditioning units and carseats to take the girls to the daycare facility to pick up their babies and then take them all home. They had special classes they attended but there were no classes about waiting or even safe sex. It was ridiculous. I dread to see how bad this will be when my kids are teens.
    Anonymous

• there is nothing wrong with a gay teen wanting to go to prom with her gf cause there is nothing wrong with being gay...there is a huge problem with teen girls wanting to become pregnant...how can you even compare the two....no one is hurt with a gay relationship but so many are hurt by a teen pregnancy..the teen, her child, her parents, the taxpayers who are gonna support that baby if she goes to the state for assistance
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• OP: Just so we are clear:Not that it's relevent: I am very much in agreement about the whole cancell the prom thing. It was sad for the other kids but a good choice all in all. IMO
    Anonymous

• Anon 54 - no one is saying they should be banned to an island to live the rest of their lives alone. What I am reading is that there is no stigma anymore and it is too easy to have babies as teens. The government hands out money, the schools cater to these girls and it's thought be such a wonderful thing because it's a new life. I believe babies are blessings but there has to be some thought put into this. I'm 33 and parenting is the hardest thing I've ever done but girls have the idea that babies are an accessory and no one is bothering to think about how much work and sacrifice children really are.

And btw, I didn't agree at all with the gay girl and prom issue. So I don't consider myself a hypocrit.
    Anonymous