Parents of Children on the autism spectrum

How many of you and your SO's are also on the spectrum? I strongly suspect my husband and I may have Aspergers. Our son has moderate autism. I have a theory that its genetic and both parents must carry the gene.Whether or not they show "symptoms" is another thing.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a 23 yr old with Asperger's and the more I understand it and see her as an adult I think alot of my mom and my brother. My ex husband has said he was told he was autistic as a kid...which I don't believe is true. He lies for one and for two back when he was a kid they barely knew about autism. My daughter is really hard to deal with because she feels nothing is wrong with her as long as her IQ is high. I have ADD myself and Arthritis I have found out that autism is also related to family who also have nuero muscular disorders like I have.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I strongly suspect my husband also has Asperger's. And I know I have some of the tendencies myself.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We suspect that my brother has it. My Mom demanded him to be tested when he was younger but back then it just wasn't heard of. My son who has autism developmentally has mirrored my brother. My Husband has a first cousin who is severely autistic. We are very lucky that our son is high functioning. Funny that my mom is the one who convinced us to get an early diagnosis when he was 18 months old. She saw it and knew it, which just helped me believe that she is right about my brother.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2010