Do contractions always hurt?

I am 35 weeks pregnant and I feel my stomach tightening up but it's not painful. My first child was born at 35 w 3 d and my water broke so I don't know how to tell if you're in labor other than that. May be TMI but I have also felt cramping in my rectal area. The feeling in my stomach is very uncomfortable but not really painful. Is it contractions and if it is should I go in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like braxton hicks contractions. Your body is "practicing" and gearing up for labor. Unless they start to get stronger and closer together its probably not labor.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It most likely is a Braxton hicks. It is different for everyone. As long as they don't get closer and have a pattern to them.
    Anonymous

• my contractions never hurt ether. i would have never known with the first tow pregnancies that i was in labor until that water broke!
    i really hope you are not in labor yet...the longer we can keep them in, the better!
    can you time the hardening of your belly at all?
    most things that i have read say that labor is timeable.
    i guess, try to time them,a nd if they are regular then call your dr.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• not sure mine always were painful, but the lady that lives next door to us has 3 kids ages 9,7,and 13 months old and she suposably can't feel contractions even after her water broke. She says she can't feel them. She said if it weren't for her having to have a c-section she would have had them with no medication because she couldn't feel them
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• No they are not always painful. Many women in early labor do not experience pain with their contractions.

Also I read an article while I was pregnant about women in Asia who work in the rice fields. When it's time to birth the baby the climbing up on the dock and give birth. Then a few hours later they go back to the fields.

A reporter who saw this asked a women how she handled the pain of labor while working. The woman was confused. It had never accured to her that labor was SUPPOSED to be painful. Psychologist have studied labor pain and found that the majority of it is in the women's head.

People tell us it's going to be painful, we fight labor instead of letting our body do what it's supposed to and we feel pain.
    Anonymous

• With your first baby just because your water broke that didn't mean you were in the active phase of labor. You should have felt labor contractions.

The doctor or midwife should have given you instructions on when to call or go to the birth facility. The contractions should be regular and a certain number of minutes apart.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• probably just practice contractions since you are 35 weeks. my stomach did that a lot as well. with my first, like you, my water broke so i had to deliver. when i went to the hospital they told me i was having regular contractions... but they didnt hurt and i wasnt really feeling them. they gave me some pitocin, they then got stronger and about an hour later i delivered naturally. with my second i never felt contractions either, even though i did have that tightening feeling in my stomach and a lot of pressure down there. at 41 weeks they tried to induce labor by breaking my water. again i didnt feel my contractions, even though they were apparently strong and regular. so they gave me pitocin. i then felt the contractions, and again an hour later baby #2 popped out naturally. so i guess contractions dont always hurt? i had fast easy labors once i was given pitocin. if you are getting concerned, ask your doctor. GL!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2010