Do you buy school portraits?

I have gotten all 3 of my kids Kindergarten portraits but then not bought them any years after that. The ones we are offered are kind of expensive lol. I just paid $20 for a 8x10 individual, 8x10 classroom portrait and 4 individual 3x4 magnets. Wow lol.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We don't buy them from the school but rather Walmart. The kids loved to give them out but I couldn't afford what the school charges for a measly 5 photos! I realize it's a fund raiser but I still want value for my money. Now if they cut the cost in half or gave more photos I'd reconsider. I also think Walmart does a better job. No more squinting at the camera, goofy faces, etc. I get the final say so on the photo.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Yes, and I purchase enough to send out to family and friends. In addition, I have a professional portrait done of my family every two years or so. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can't beat the quality or memories.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My kids aren't in school but yes, I plan on getting them once they are. I was usually the only kid in class who's mom didn't buy them and I hated it! Everyone else got pictures to exchange with friends and I was left without. It was embarrassing and as a child I felt like I was an outcast for the entire week... I don't want to do that to my kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Oh, half the kids in my daughter's class didn't buy photos. I don't think it is the same as it used to be, where most everyone bought the cheap portrait packages because now even the cheap ones are expensive lol. I would rather go to a portrait studio like Target where I can pick my own background and pose and pay half the price.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I might purchase their individuals, but I will always buy class photos. Those are great. I never had ONE good picture taken at school. My Mom usually did, I think out of guilt. I never wanted her to, because I didn't want those ugly photos on my relative's walls for an entire year.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Our school uses Lifetouch, and the packages are usually pretty reasonable, so yes, I buy them every year. Have been since my eldest was in Kindergarten (she's a sophomore in high school now).
    Anonymous

• yep, I get the big package for each - 18X10, 2 5X7, 4 (whatever the next size was), and 16wallets - but our school has a multi kid deal. the first is full price $29, and the next ones are only $10.

much easier than trying to get into a portrait place.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Wow hypermamaz that's a great deal I think. Well my 3 all go to different schools :( so no discounts. $20 for 6 pictures just seemed crazy to me lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I bought my daughters school pictures since this is her first year of school. But I didn't buy my sons because they were just too expensive for me and the SO to pay for them. I'd rather go to Walmart and get them done. I can get more pictures for either the same price or lower depending on if they have specials going on or not.

NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 9:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010