Do men and women cheat for the same reasons?

I have personally cheated on my husband and he has cheated on me. It all happened in the VERY beginning of our marriage and we've been married for 12 years so we are good now. Anyways, I cheated because I was feeling neglected. I felt like he never gave me compliments or showed me how much he wanted me. He cheated because he said I complained too much. Haha. Does everyone really cheat for the same reasons or different reasons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• people who cheat male and female all cheat for the same reason -sexual satisfaction and egotistical fulfilment is more important than self respect being 'a man' or a woman, an adult in the true sense of the word -too burned out by egos to care for themself.
    Anonymous

• I think that men and women cheat when there is something missing in the marriage/relationship. It could be attention, respect, or appreciation - but one of these is missing in just about every case of infidelity I know of. I don't think it matters if its a man or a woman, we're all human.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• If anyone is going to cheat they just need to get out of the relationship. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think that women usually cheat for emotional reasons and men usually cheat for physical reasons. Of course there is always an exception.
    Anonymous

• My now ex boyfriend used to tell me I wasn't worth anything and started to beat me... I cheated because I needed to feel that love.... so I think women do it for emotional reasons and men do it for physical....
    Anonymous

• yes, emotional needs are not being met for both genders
    Anonymous

• neglected, unappreciated....yup, for both men and women
    Anonymous

• i cheated because i never saw my husband we worked opposite shifts and we didn't get along. I was depressed cause i was 19 and had 2 kids and I was lonely. I wanted to go to college and felt like I might not be able to. I had made friends with someone i worked with. I deeply regretted it the moment it happened. I confessed right away and have never cheated since. We did end up divorced and I have never cheated on my 2nd husband.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think everyone who cheats has their own individual reason for cheating. I don't think it's really possible to categorize and say "this is why men cheat and this is why women cheat". Personally, I would never cheat on my boyfriend, no matter what was going on in our relationship, no matter if I was unhappy or he was. I would try to work it out, and if all else failed, then I would end the relationship before I would cheat on him. I don't know that it's fair to say men cheat for physical reasons and women for emotional. Sometimes men are the ones not getting their emotional needs met, and women are the ones not getting their physical needs met. It's all depending on the person, not their gender.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2010