Is everybody going "Hobo"?

Showering may be bad for your health, say US scientists, who have shown that dirty shower heads can deliver a face full of harmful bacteria.

Tests revealed nearly a third of devices harbour significant levels of a bug that causes lung disease.

Levels of Mycobacterium avium were 100 times higher than those found in typical household water supplies.

M. avium forms a biofilm that clings to the inside of the shower head, reports the National Academy of Science.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8254206.stm

Seriously, Would you stop taking showers ofter after reading this article?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nope, but I think I'll go soak the showerhead in bleach now just to be safe...lol
    movieFanatic81

Answer by movieFanatic81 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• been showering for years, so has past family history for the last decades... not a problem, just more crap news about something stupid
    Anonymous

• NO!!!
    Anonymous

• That is why I let the shower run for a minute or two before I get in. Most of it is flushed out by then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• why not just clean your shower head? LOL

and I also do like BrendenIsMySon does and let it run for a minute or two, not to get anything out, just to wait for it to get to the temp I want.
    Anonymous

• no, but it is recommended to run your shower for a couple minutes, not let the water run into your mouth, and to replace your shower head every 3 to 6 months.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Our water is loaded with crap that clogs up our shower head so we replace it often, but the article could be on to something, like the cause for acne in some people
    Anonymous

• Well, I clean the shower head every time I clean the tub. I also soak the thing in bleach or vinegar about once a month. There can't be that much crap on it. I also run the shower for a bit before stepping in, it takes some time for the water to heat up anyway. I still think a germy shower head would be better than bathing in water that the rest of the family has already used. That's how it was done in the old days. Men got to bathe first, then down the line. That's pretty gross, IMO.
    Anonymous

• Why did the men get to bathe first? They are the biggest and the dirtiest. Some crappy logic we had.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I won't stop showering but ocassionally cleaning your shower head probably wouldn't hurt ;-)
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 5:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2010