what out of the ordinary advice have you had to give your child?

We have been raising our kids for a while now... we have taught them good nutrition, we have taught them the importance of an education, about personal safety, about the value of money, etc. But what advice have you given your teen that is not the typical advice.... ?????

I had to explain to my teenage daughter the importance of training herself to have a pleasant look on her face when she is concentrating. She has a horrible habit of grimacing when she concentrates. She looks as if she is staring people down or trying to star something when she is really just staring off into space. LOL.. her friends have even pointed it out to her. Just one of those things I didnt think Id be giving advice on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well I don't have a teenager but it wasn't that long ago that I was one. So here goes, the things that I wish someone had given me advice on was the truth about people, drugs, sex, and alcohol. If my parents had taught me about the things I was most curious and most inclined to get into trouble with life would have been much better. People was probably the most important one. I would have liked to know what people were really like, how they tend to take advantage and about different backgrounds of people. Like why they believe in certain things and what makes them the way they are.
    skribe

Answer by skribe at 5:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• That life is NOT fair and he needs to learn to deal with it now. Oh and whoever told him life was fair, LIED. I have also told him that he is not entitiled to have anything or do anything he wants just because he wants to. He has learned how to deal with being told NO very well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• well my baby is only 5 and i have had to already teach her that the "popular girls" are not neccessarily who she wants to be friends with. who knew they have mean girls in kindergarten lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I think the one bit of advice I ever gave my son, at age 16, now he's 25. Was that when he had a gf, wife or whatever, that if she ever came into the room and asked "how does this look" to always...ALWAYS turn and look at her before the standard "that looks nice" lol I told him that alone would help to avoid many nasty fights. His buddy (who had a gf) was there and he was nodding YES, YES, YES!! lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2010