What is causing your depression?

For me it's a loss of activites I once enjoyed, a job loss,friends loss,sometimes I feel like I'm jumping off a cliff,my world is so turned upside down and there's no way to repair it.I should be on anti-depressants but I hate how they dry out my eyes,when I don't cry.I might have to get on some but for now I'm just venting and want you to do it too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Health

• My husband and my finances.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Anti Depressants are a joke. I think you need to get outside and get some fresh air. Do something fun. Something exciting that you have never done before. Maybe its jumping out of a plane or going river rafting. But doing the same old thing or depending on anti depressants is a bad path to choose. Instead go do something that challenges you. It is clear to me that you need to be challenged and maybe need to face a fear or two.
    skribe

Answer by skribe at 4:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have been dealing with depression for quite a while. Years ago when my depression started it was the stress of being a new mom, custody battle, and lack of support from my family. I finally gave into getting some help from medication. Then a couple of years ago I felt well enough to go off from my medication. And that lasted for almost two years. Even though I dealt and still deal daily with the stress of having a child with ADHD that is not quite under control yet. I was able to manage my depression until I lost my father last April. I tried very hard to pull myself out of the deep depression I fell into but I was drowning and couldn't find my way to the surface so finally I went back to my doctor and went back on my meds. Now I can function much better and deal slowly with the death of my father without drowning in my grief. Some people like the previous poster may feel that meds are a joke but they help me to live my life
    rlw

Answer by rlw at 5:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• lack of sun is one- I need to get off my duff and spend more time outside-
    My SIL and her attitude about me and my nieces-
    missing a friend-

have you considered chinese medicine? worked for me-
    Anonymous

• I went to my dr last week to be put on something for depression. Long story that I won't bore you with, but with all my other symptoms the dr wanted to do bloodwork. The blood work came back the next day and I have an under active thyroid. Depression is one of the symptoms as well as several others that I had. Google symptoms of thyroid problems and see if any of those things fit you. Then maybe talk to your dr about a blood test. I wish you the best of luck. I am on week one of my meds with no big change yet, but they said it would take around a month to show improvement.
    I don't agree with the statememnt that ANTIDEPRESSANTS ARE A JOKE! Depression is an illness and admitting that you need help is the first step to feeling better.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 7:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• All the pieces of crap in my life that I cannot seem to get to go away. Thats who causes my depression and anxiety. I was once a very happy person that not a thing in the world ever bothered me.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Get them to go away*
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My husband,finances, loneliness, having no social life as most of my family and friends live in other states. I feel invisible to him a lot and just feel like I am in limbo. Most of my in-laws hate me and I think heis startnig too. I just feel sooo lonely. I wish I could run away and start a new life somewhere. I wish I could be myself around everyone but I can't. I have to be a different person with everyone and it sucks. Because of a fight today with hubby I feel like crap and just hate life right now. Apparenlty the house should be spotless becuase the kids are in school for 6 hours. I do my best but there are times I bust my butt and in 20 mintues time after the kids get home you cannot tell. So then there are days I feel like what is the use. Or when I spend a huge amount of time making a great meal from scratch only to have hubby eat two bites of it and run back oout the door. I am so not appreciated.
    Mamaford2

Answer by Mamaford2 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 18, 2010