Did you adopt a pet and get dissapointed because it turns out it wasn't what you were expecting?

I wanted an older cat, one to lay around and cuddle next to me.

Instead I got "miss independence" she is off doing her own thing and if she gets petted it is on her terms, holding her is out of the question. At the shelter she seemed fine but after 8 months this is not what I was wanting but it is like a kid, I'm in it for the long haul no matter what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pets

• All of my cats are like that young or old. They will come to you when THEY want lol.. I heard a few years ago that a dog will come when you call him but a cat is like a answering machine, they will take the message and get back you..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• nope, i love my dog <3
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Never had a furbie I didn't love. It takes time and patience with them sometimes. She/he may not be use to the attention that your so lovingly want to give her, but she will in time.......good luck hon. OH just reread and see it's a cat. They are like that hon. They are very independant. When they want to be loved they let you know.......lol

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Kids don't always turn out so cuddly either, like kids animals have their own minds. A younger cat does not guarantee frequent cuddle time either.

Try focusing on her companionship in your home with you instead of being demanding of her, mad around her that she's not perfection in your eyes.

My cat is like that too -we walk by and give her a pat, a stroke and she comes to us for food and an occassional leg rub of hello.
    Cats 'allow' humans to appreciate them, some dogs do too. Just focus on her elegant personality of being queen choosing when to allow her subjects to bow down before her.

Think of it this way too, do you obey/do every single thing that is asked or demanded of you, probably not. Just love her cuz she's fun to pet once in a while, to look at as she snuggles into her spot for a warm sunbath.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Cats are independent creatures anyway... All of our dogs are either rescue or adopted and we love them all. Have only had one since he was a puppy and he's awesome, the other 2 were older but are just as great. If you do adopt again maybe start out with a younger pet.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have 6 cats and 3 dogs and i except them for who they are. I will admit i do miss having a cuddler, my cat, April passed away 2 years ago. She used to curl up on my stomach when i watched tv and would just hang out with me. But each of mine have a unique personality and I love them for it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Sure... I had one very mild-mannered hedgehog and expected the next two to be like her. The first one after her liked me but no one else... the third we got as an adult from a breeder who did not socialize her well and she hated us all for about 3/4 of her life. When she was very old and had a lot of health issues she finally got comfortable with me, simply because I had to handle her so much to give her medication, etc. But what can you do? Just like people, they are who they are, and we loved her anyhow.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I've adopted a dog from a rescue a couple times that had vet records and all sorts of proof of health only to be a the emergency vet 72 hours later. It's disappointing and terrifying for the puppy.

First puppy is abandoned, then is whisked to a rescue, then some lady comes and puts puppy in a crate and goes for a really long car ride, then puppy has to meet older dogs who think puppy stinks, then puppy goes into quarantine... SO SCARY!

Fortunately, all of my near-death dogs have been great, safe with kids, and easy to train. A little clingy though. My "little dog" has PTSD I'm certain and has to be right next to me all the time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2010