5yr. old and school bus problems...

Okay, so I have a 5yr. old who won't ride the bus to school. My Daughter rides the bus with him, it's just the mornings, I have problems with. He wakes up in the morning, he gets ready for school but when the bus comes by he won't get on. I've asked him why he doesn't want to go to school. We live about less than 1/2 mile from school. I can walk with him just not now because I have an 8mos old. 7:30 in the morning is too cold for the baby. I've tried everything to get him to get on the bus but he won't, anyone know of any other ways I can get him to get on the school bus? I've asked him why he doesn't like the bus if there was anyone that was mean to him no answer. I don't want to give up on him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Was he introduced to the driver so they'd have some sort of relationship? Maybe he has stranger anxiety
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I agree with TMJ...my first thought was something with the bus driver. Does he have a different driver in the afternoon?
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I remember riding the bus. It was torture. The driver is driving, not supervising the kids. Kids take full advantage of that. Based on the fact that your son did not answer, I would guess that is the case.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Sit down and talk with your son during the weekend or after school. Ask him why he doesnt like to ride the bus. Then work with him on idea's that would help him ride the bus. Encourage him to make up a week long goal. For every day he rides he gets a sticker. So many stickers and he earns a prize of some kind.  As the other mom suggested introduce him to the driver.  Perhaps one of the older kids would be his bus buddy.  Someone to sit with. 

Just keep encouraging.  Dont yell or threaten.  This will make things worse.  Good Luck momma :)

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2010