Hispanic on the census form...

How is it not a race? I've been told that it's a nationality. I don't understand! Please explain kindly. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Does it matter? They try to make everyone happy because everyone complains about what it is called. Mexicans I know call themselve HISPANIC
    gah why is it the white people the only ones not upset with WHITE being on that form?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Caucasian is not race.
    White is a race.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 5:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Hispanic is not a race. It's a ethnicity. People from Spanish speaking countries are Hispanic. Like my husband. He's white, but he's Hispanic. I'm white, but I'm not Hispanic.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• gah why is it the white people the only ones not upset with WHITE being on that form?
    --------------
    I don't care what they call "us" on that stupid, useless form. If it wasn't against my beliefs to not fill it out, I would toss it into the trash.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• The term race refers to the concept of dividing people into populations or groups on the basis of various sets of physical characteristics. However, it is usually governments that decide on the racial categories in a given country.

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a population of human beings whose members identify with each other, on the basis of a real or a presumed common genealogy or ancestry.

Races are assumed to be distinguished by skin color, facial type, etc. However, the scientific basis of racial distinctions is very weak. Most scientific studies show many changes in racial identity over time, and cross-over traits among races.

Asians have the eyes that are a dead giveaway, blacks have the dark skin and in a lot of cases the flatter broader nose.

There is no defining feature to tell you some one is hispanic until they open their mouths to talk if they have an accent, otherwise, nothing.
    Anonymous

• It's just for the questionaire on the census form. I think they are trying to determine the exact county or origin of the different latino populations. It said that on the paperwork.

So instead of just being listed as latino or hispanic, it would read if you were from Cuba, or Puerto Rico, Spain, Mexico or just Mexican-American.

Just once when they ask what race I am...I wish I could put "human race", "rat race" or one a friend of mine put once...his answer? 440-relay lol

Why did this end up in the Religion catagory?
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• its also belief catagory too

I have noticed lately on like applications they have white ( not latino or hispanic)
    african american ( not latino or hispanic), spanish ( not latino or hispanic) and so on. , seriously it was beginning to confuse me! I am not sure why they do that now!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Personally I think they should just leave a space so we can write in our own. I happen to be Hispanic(of both Spanish & Mexican descent) as well as Mayan Indian, American Indian, Dutch, Yugoslavian & Austrian. I always just check Hispanic & white but I think the way they have it on most forms is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Yeah anon, my husband is European (Spanish) and Central American Indian. It's just much easier to write in white, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I checked none of the above and wrote AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!

If not I would have to write, Italian, Mexican, Cuban, French, Irish and English.

Thats too much work
    Anonymous