Bottle feeding Breastmilk??

I have a baby that is a week old and I only want him to have breastmilk. the problem is that I have flat nipples and he has a hard time latching on. I have tried latch assist and even a nipple shield that we are working to wean from right now. My question is: Is it worth pumping and feeding him with a bottle?? I just feel like it would be easier for both of us. I love the time that he spends nursing but honestly I hate the nipple shield and I am so sore from it and he gets upset cause he has a hard time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call La Leche league -I used to use them alot -I'm sure they have a 24 hour helpline too.

Good luck mommy and Congratulations!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Honestly as long as your baby is getting the (your) nutrients. It is fine.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 5:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• But if she can't see and feel that baby is latching on then likely he's not. I'd call LL and also try pulling gently out your nipple and with your index finger and also your middle finger or between your thumb and index finger gentle push your nipple into dear baby's mouth, stroke his chin and cheek with your nipple and breast so that the smell of your breast and milk becomes familiar to him.

That's what the hospital told me to do even though it was a long time ago, LL too.
    Anonymous

• I pumped and fed through a bottle for 7 1/2 mos. I worked better for us b/c I was less stressed and she was calmer b/c she could actually get milk. LLL couldn't help us b/c my LO has a high pallette and just couldn't latch. Do what you feel is going to work best for your family. It was the best decision that I made for all of us. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Bottle feeding can cause more nipple issues for you and exclusive pumping does not have a high success rate.  If you must give expressed milk, using an eydropper, cup or spoon is a better idea if necessary.     Contact your local LLL and definitely check out http://www.drjacknewman.com/       Women with flat nipples can effectively breastfeed, they just need the right advice.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• See about breast SHELLS...much much much better than shields for flat nipples. Shields are for WOUNDED nipples. SOmeone got the wrong idea of howto use 'em.

Shells are worn when not nursing to "train" the nipples.

Exclusive pumping CAN be done...but it's very hard work and it will honestly be easier to get to nursing. The tough part only lasts a couple of days as opposed to a whole year of hard work in exclusive pumping.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Considering that it has only been one week it is way too early to rule our nursing, normal easy nursing takes a couple of weeks, the baby should be taking in not just the nipple but the areola as well so flat nipples aren't that big of deal once the baby learns to latch. Go see a la leche league person they are much better than lactation consultants at hospitals etc. It took me a month to get the hang of it with DD and it was frustrating and so hard but worth it in the end.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I pumped and fed from a bottle right away. Sometimes it's a pain, but if that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Nursing directly not only offers more benefits to baby, it's easier in the long run. Exclusive pumping isn't even possible for all moms... the success rate is low.

I know it's tough, but put in the work now and it will get easier. Try the shells, and stick with the sheild until you can get him nursing directly. Call the LLL and an IBCLC... you can do it, it's hard right now, but it will get better. Pumping never gets better, it only gets harder, if not impossible. If you have no choice... it's great. You you have a choice.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2010