How soon do you need a swing for a newborn??

Im due to deliver my little one anyday. My friend plans to hand me down her very nice swing but her little baby will be 7 months in 2 weeks. I trying to decide if I should just go buy and inexpensive one or if my friends little one should be growing out of his soon?? How soon do you normally use a swing when your baby is born?? Do you think I should wait? Money is not an issue its more of what will be best for the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think you should wait. Your baby may not even like a swing. My advice is to try him/her out in your friend's swing before buying one. I bought one before my son was born and he hated it. Then I bought him a bouncer, which he loved.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Honestly you dont need one. Some kids don't like it, It you would like to get one you should wait at least a month or so, so that they have more head control.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I am a mom of 4 and they used theirs since the day they came home. It is a life saver
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I used it a birth. They stop using them as soon as they can sit up and lean forward mostly. So, take hers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• As soon as we got home, it was one of the few places she would sleep, and a 7 month old shouldn't be in a swing it is dangerous because they can throw themselves out of it on the floor.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It is my recollection that swings are more for the littlest ones...the youngest ones....before they can really do anything to amuse themselves or cause themselves and danger in the swing....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• you may not even NEED one.

I had a bouncy chair - never had a swing. it came in really handy...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• i used mine from day one with both of my girls they loved it and for my 2nd child that was the only place she would sleep with out being held. i agree that a 7 month old shouldnt be in one anymore
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• you don't need one. we got 2 handed down from us and my son used it once. we did use a bouncy chair we got as a gift all the time though.

it's really hard to imagine a 7 month old in a swing. i'm wondering if he's within weight limit?
    Anonymous

• the swing is a lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!! get it ASAP!!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2010