Why is getting legally married important to people?

Some are fighting for a right to it. Others are fighting for the preservation of it. Yet others are struggling to realize its promises.

Why is getting legally married important to people? What, if any, is the significance of legal wedlock?

http://bordenzenterprises.com

Angebor

Asked by Angebor at 6:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Marriage is a union between a man & a woman defined by God in the holy bible in a commited and life-long relationship to be together "til death do us part". Living together as man & wife and having children w/o marriage, degrades the very definition of marriage and contributes to the downfall of America and the very definition of "family", IMO.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 10:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• To me the significance is the sharing of that special union. This is going to really shallow, but if something were to ever happen to him, I want to make sure that I and our child can receive the benefits that will come.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• For me implies family tradition.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 6:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I'm getting from a lot of people that the piece of paper offers a lot of protection. being legally married means the wife/hubby is the next of kin in case of an accident, etc. I am not married. SO and I will be together for 3 years this May and we have a son who will be 2 in April. We arent in a rush to get married. We were only together for 3 months when I got pregnant and believe me many asked "so are you getting married?" we didnt want to get married just because we had a baby. We love each other very much, we dont correct people when they ask "is your husband home" We might get married someday...it would be nice! But we are happy the way things are right now.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• For me, it was all about the health insurance.

Oh yeah. And the love.

Seriously though, my DH and I were engaged for three years before we got pregnant. I didn't have health insurance that would cover prenatal care, and he did. So we got married. The actual marriage happened because we needed the benefits, but we were engaged because it was a sign of total commitment to eachother that sort of warned others, "Back off - we're taken", and made us feel closer and more special to eachother. So... yeah.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• To me if you aren't willing to get legally married then you have some reservations in your relationship because you know that you can be held responsible for the relationship not working. To me I want to be tied to my DH for life, I want to be a true part of his family, take his name etc. If I had thought we might not work out or that I would want to behave badly then I wouldn't have, and that is sad. Get married and be a real family.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Marriage is protective to a large degree....I think it is human nature to seek "permanence" although it is also human nature to screw it up!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I believe it is God-ordained, and that it is what He wishes for us. There are things that he commands us not to do outside the bounds of it. Yet, He made us with the desire to do those things. So, I believe, that God intended for us to get married (1 man to 1 woman, btw), and start a family. When we say "yes" to that ONE, we are saying "no" to all others.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Marriage has it's benifits. Some people do not relize that.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Marriage to me is about commitment. The man i dating in college was committed enough to ask me to be his wife and become a family(formally, in front of God and our family). Thats what marriage means to me. I don't believe in just "being" together for years and years and years without a real commitment(which i consider marriage).
    Anonymous