I think the new Dem schemem to get this bill passed is INSANE BUT........

The argument seems to be that repubs have used this "deem" process in the past. And while I keep hearing some SAY this 1) I dont think THAT makes it RIGHT and 2) I cant find WHERE they used it. Can anyone else? Google is NOT being my friend today :(

Also...do you think this is ok for ANY party to use? PLEASE try and keep in mind if you hate repubs that dems will not be on power forever and when the days comes do you WANT there to be a precedent for this or should it be STOPPED in its tracks NOW?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No it isn't right for anybody to do. I am pissed that they are just going to do what they want knowing that the public who hired them and pays them doesn't want it total misuse of power.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• As I understand it, both sides have used it for minor issues that would have passed anyway. They just deemed it passed, no one cared, it was ok with everyone. Obviously, this isn't ok with everyone. This is too big, too important, and too controversial to use this type of maneuver to pass something that impacts so much. Have the intestinal fortitude to put it to a vote and then accept the outcome. The "do whatever it takes" attitude is going to cause a lot of problems.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• The first time that the chamber used what's known as a "deeming resolution" -- the mechanism Democrats are leaning toward using to pass the Senate health care bill through the House -- was March 16, 1933.

Then, as now, it involved a bill that had little support in the chamber among individual Democrats, but all of them knew they had to pass it. Very few Democrats want to vote for the Senate version of health care reform, but most are okay with it as long as it's amended through reconciliation.

Less than two weeks into FDR's first 100 days, Congress needed to raise its debt ceiling, a ritual vote that hasn't gotten any easier for the majority party in the intervening 77 years -- and is still political fodder for partisan opponents.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Instead of voting on the underlying Senate bill to raise the debt ceiling in 1933, the House voted on Resolution 63, which stated that "immediately upon the adoption of this resolution the bill H.R. 2820, with Senate amendments thereto, be, and the same hereby is, taken from the Speaker's table to the end that all Senate amendments be, and the same are hereby, agreed to."

More recently, Grim notes that deeming resolutions were used by Republicans "36 times in 2005 and 2006," and by Democrats "49 times in 2007 and 2008."
    sweet-a-kins

• what's a schemem? I know what scheme is but not a schemem.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it has ever been used against We the People like this before. We the majority have been VERY SPECIFIC THAT WE DO NOT WANT THEIR H/C BILL! THEY ARE IGNORING US, HOW CAN THEY BLATANTLY DISREGARD OUR TOTAL LACK OF SUPPORT? (They know something we don't know, like maybe, they have hidden in there, that we lose our rights to vote them OUT!)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• They are going to regret it.You can only push Americans but so far.
    Anonymous

• We the People like this before. We the majority Who said you have the majority?? The WSJ poll had it evenly spilt have been VERY SPECIFIC THAT WE DO NOT WANT THEIR H/C BILL! THEY ARE IGNORING US, They aren't ignoring me, just you..but that sOK, they been ignoring me for the last 8 years

HOW CAN THEY BLATANTLY DISREGARD OUR TOTAL LACK OF SUPPORT? YOUR support, they dont lack mine

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• evenly split lol.Most polls have shown the majority does not want it.You even agree with the gwb policies obama is keeping and expanding..lol whats that say about YOU..gee it would appear that you are all good as long as that 'D' is by the name.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Even if it is an even split it it not ok to push it through knowing that some many constituents are against it, it is unprofessional and should be illegal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2010