I cannot lay my son down without waking him up!

Everytime he falls asleep while I am holding him I cannot lay him down without him waking up! It is getting so frustrating. He usually will fall asleep while I am bfing him. I wait until he is fully asleep, unlatch him, and carefully lay him in bed. It doesn't fail. Everytime he wakes right up and starts crying. Sometimes it takes the full naptime just going through this cycle. Sometimes he wakes up and no matter how hard I try he won't go back to sleep. Than the rest of the day is hell because he didn't take a long enough nap.
I am getting to the point where I think I should just hold him the whole time he takes a nap so he can get a good amount of sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had this child back in August of 07. I have no advice for you. Nothing worked for me. I just spent 6 months holding him through his naps so that I could have some peace.

I feel for you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• mine was the same way.. SOMETIMES and not all the time when i would unlatch her form my breast i could slide a paci in her mouth and lay her down:) most times she could tell if she wasnt completly asleep but if she was out then i could lay her down and she'd stay asleep.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• have u tried putting him down before he is fully asleep but is maybe too tired to fight his sleep, i would try that. how old is he
    Anonymous

• OP

"have u tried putting him down before he is fully asleep but is maybe too tired to fight his sleep"

LOL! There is no way that would work. He is 8 months old and has more energy than 10 toddlers put together. Getting him to sleep is a difficult task enough on its own. He has NEVER once fallen asleep on his own, or has even seemed as if he was tired. He just keeps going and going and going.....
    Anonymous

• Oh if he's 8 months I would put him in bed and just let him cry a little bit.

I had the August 07 baby and I meant he was like that the first 6 months of his life. He started getting better about sleeping around 6 months and I encouraged it by putting him in his bed. Since he seemed to like to suckle for comfort I gave him a pacifier until age 1.
    Anonymous

• You have to wait until the DEEP sleep cycle. Babies have much shorter sleep cycles than we do, so you have to wait for the limp limbs, heavy head, and slow steady breaths. Watch your baby as they sleep and you will see them when they are in light sleep and deep sleep. Also when you put the baby down, make sure the surface isn't cold! That would wake any of us up. I put my baby down wherever we happen to be, though most of the time I take the cue and just nap myself LOL IF I feel my baby is restless I just put her in the sling and let her nap while I go about my business.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I had the same problem with my Son I think its because he doesn't like being on his back... he sleeps better in his carseat
    coopersmommy01

Answer by coopersmommy01 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• TRy waiting until he is asleep then put his face to your as you lay him down then keep your face on his until you have him laid down so he still feels your skin on his then slowly move away. It is the only way that I could lay my son down. I then layed a small pillow or teddy bear next to his belly so he thought that he was against me. It worked for me so good luck.
    vtmam

Answer by vtmam at 12:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My only advice is to cosleep, but I don't know if you're open to that. That way, you nurse and cuddle in bed, and when he's asleep, you don't need to move him. But, like I said, I don't know if that's something you want to do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2010