Full time working moms: How many hours a day do you spend with your little ones?

I am starting back up full time again the first time since being a mom.
I am wanting to see what kind of time table I am looking at here.

How many hours do you get to spend on a daily basis with them? That doesn't include time getting ready for work, showering, or cooking and cleaning. For me atleast I know during those times I really can't give much attention to my little ones. They are young so they don't want to have a conversation with me while I cook or get involved. So I really can't count that time as time spent with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 4 - I work 9 hours a day and my DD is in preschool for 10 hours a day (rough, i know, but i've got bills to pay). I pick her up at 5:15 and we usually hang out until about 9 when she goes to bed. We cook, clean, etc together so that I can still get things done around the house. Probably 1.5 of the 4 hours is spent without cooking, cleaning, etc. Not as much as i'd like, but its the best we can do right now.
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We leave the house between 710 and 720 in the morn.
    I get off work at 5 pm, pick him up around 530 - 545, get home between 615 - 630 pm (stupid rush hour)
    He goes to bed 8 - 820

It sucks!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I vary my work schedule but still work forty hours a week. I have off two or three days during the week and I take him to the zoo and have a special outing. He is in a private preschool so I can continue to take him out of school to go do special things. I also can clean my house and then do a half day of school and pick him up after nap if there is something important he will miss. Then on the one weekend day I work my husband spends all day with him. I get him dressed, sometimes I sleep in his room with him, I put him to bed, and we are always playing or together. We don't do television at all so finding activities and opportunities just isn't that hard. I do paper work at home for work after he goes to bed so I can come home before all my hours are logged in for the day. I can also start working from home as well.  His school is very understanding and will continue to work with us so I get the maximum amount of time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I know you say getting them ready doesn't count: but for us getting ready is a fun snuggle opportunity and we never rush. In fact, we play as we get ready. Breakfast is important and we eat together. I find getting ready the night before helps ease the time crunch making mornings quality time instead of one big hassle and rush.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2010