• In the Spotlight:

How important is the 9 month check up?

My DS dr office couldnt get him in at 9 months. He is now 10 months old. He doesnt have another appt unitll May 11th. He will be 1 then and I assume they will draw blood and all then. Where do they take blood from? Arm or prick in the finger heel? What exactly do they draw blood for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would they take blood?
    Anonymous

• sorry to tell you,but they draw it from their arm! Are you talking about the lead/iron test?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• aw i was hoping they didnt do it from the arm! Yeah so they check lead and iron?
    Anonymous

• definitely a lead test at one.they take at least 2 vials. you're gonna cry,you have to hold the baby still!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• why can't you get him in sooner? Is your pediatricians office telling you they can't see your child until MAY? I would absolutely change doctors if that is the case. Otherwise just reschedule...I'm taking my daughter in for her 9 month check up tomorrow - message me if you want to know what happened...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It is really not that big of a deal. You don't have to go to the well checks. You'd be fine waiting until a year old. Heck, you don't even need a pediatrician unless your child has a specific illness, a family practitioner is just fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• um my kids got the lead and iron check. and it was a finger .
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• You'll be fine waiting until a year old. I think they prick the finger for lead test.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2010