SO I'm the mom who sits on her butt at the playground

I don't play. It's not my thing. I watch. I respond. I keep the peace. I do not play. I do talk on my phone sometimes because I am bored! I have no cool mommy friends to hang out with and my kids are typically busy doing their own thing. Guess what I can be on my phone AND watch my kids. cool? What do ya think? Am I just the most horrible mom on the planet or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah I think it is terrible when you go to the park with your kids so that they car run off their energy. You know what? You shouldn't ever be on the phone around your kids. Not at home or at the park or while they are at school. Joking...
    Park time is specifically for parents to get a break. Women can multi task that is what we do when taking care of kids. Talking on the phone while kids entertain themselves is a dream come true for me. I only have 1 kid so its always mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy! When there are other kids to play with I realise why people have more than one kid. And women who are in the cool mommy group are gross. I don't want to be a cool mommy I want to be a good mom. Someone who is less worried about how cool my friends and I look and more worried about how my child is being brought up and what she is being taught.
    skribe

Answer by skribe at 8:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• As long as you are watching your children (which it sounds like you are) you are doing fine.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We go to the PARK to play- Frisbee, ball, race, kites, etc.

@ the playground, they play with OTHER CHILDREN. That is their opportunity to play WITHOUT mom...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I wouldnt play either. its boring and as long as u watch them its fine.
    Anonymous

• My son is 19 months so I still follow him around. When he can play independently and safely I'll sit back and let him run around on his own too. I don't see anything wrong with what you are describing. If someone is giving you a hard time about this then they clearly are lucky enough to have nothing better to worry about than what you are doing at the park!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I'm not one to be up and playing either, although I'd probably chat with the other moms. But I see nothing wrong with chatting on the cell phone either.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• No. You're just doing your thing the way you know how to do it. Not every mom has to be a clone of other moms.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't run around the playground either. My husband plays with the kids sometimes at the park, but I don't usually. Whenever we go to the park, they either play with their homeschooling group friends ( on park day) or they will make new friends with whoever is there. Whenever we go with our homeschooling group, all of us moms hang out together and talk. That's OUR time to socialize.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't play with my kids either, just keep my eyes glued to them. I'm not much of a phone person, so it's rare for me to talk while watching them. But I just can't handle chasing them around with my health issues! For me, I'm doing dang good if I take them, period! As long as I see their little tricks, or new stuff they try, or push them on the swings, they're more than happy!
    Anonymous

• There is always something you can play with at the playground. I think you are just making excuses. I am sorry but I really dislike the people that just do not see their kids and go to the playground to talk to other moms.
    Anonymous