How do I potty train my 4 and a half year old boy

He doesn't care. we tryed pull ups at first now he is in regular underwear and has been for about 6 months. he still poops and pees in them at least 1/2 the time. There is no medical reason we already had that looked into. He just doesn't care. We even tried rewards and charts. He will even go around in wet or dirty underwear until someone discovers it. Sometimes a WHILE later. I really don't care I am ready to try timeout and poping his butt here soon if no one has any other ideas. This is ridiculous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's old enough to know better. Sit down and have a talk with him. Tell him if he doesn't straighten out there will be consequences - and stick with those consequences. Take away things that are important to him. Don't bust his butt, but tell him what's what. YOU are the parent, YOU are in charge, YOU need to take charge instead of letting him get away with it. And why does it sometimes take awhile to catch his accidents?! I know within 2 minutes if my 2yo has an accident!
    Anonymous

• you have him clean himself up? Maybe he'd get sick of the hassle after awhile
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• OP: because he is outside playing or in his room playing. He doesn't tell anyone. He won't clean it up. WE have tried he will lay in the bathroom floor and scream his head off that he doesn't want to/ he likes to be wet. (whatever) We let him do that for 30 min one day before finally changing him our selves. That to is a bit of a fight.
    Anonymous

• Start over. Take him to the potty every 45 minutes. Get involved. He is old enough to make consequences for going in his pants now too. Offer a reward for staying dry all day and take away something he really cares about for refusing to use the potty.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Stay home for 3 days and do nothing but focus on potty training. Put him in underwear and a shirt and have the potty in the same room with him. Watch him -- don't do anything else (laundry, tv, internet, nothing). Wait for him to start going in his pants and move him to the potty, telling him sternly that pee/poop goes in the potty. If a little lands in there, he can have some praise and a small reward. Once you're sure he gets it, you can make him clean up the messes each time. If he poops himself, you can wash him in a lukewarm shower.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Im not sure how to answer this. Have you tried leaving it on him. Maybe he will get tired of it being on him. I seriously dont know. My daughter was fully potty trained at 22 mths.
    Anonymous