painting walls

I'm already pretty decided about this subject, but I was wondering what other women think of this subject. I'm moving in a couple of weeks and planning to paint the bedrooms in my new apartment.
Some people say pregnant women shouldn't paint. I heard that the concern is more for the mercury and lead that used to be put in paints some decades ago and that it can cause birth defects. What do you think?

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 8:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Olympic makes a Zero VOC paint. You can buy it at Lowes. It has no smell. It's very safe.

There hasn't been lead in paint since the 1970s when we discovered it was dangerous. Even then, it's dangerous to eat it, not paint with it. The is no mercury in paint.

The problem with most paints is the VOCs - volatile organic compounds- can be absorbed through the skin and are inhaled. The paint off-gases as it cures, releasing acetone, toluene, and benzene type compounds. These cause birth defects, damage the lungs of the mother, and bio-accumulate in fatty tissues like the brain and reproductive organs. This problem is easily avoided by using a Zero VOC paint. Open the window, wear gloves and a mask, use common sense.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• u can get a mask, I did, and open windows and its not a problem
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2010