Has anyone ever experienced this??

My baby is 7 weeks old and had cold like symptoms at first went to the pediatrician they sent me home saying to use a humidifier, tylenol and booger sucker. Then my little one got worse brought him to the ER they sent me home I went through this 3 times 4th time he was fighting to breathe I showed extreme concern to the triage nurse she blew me off basically and I got sent home once again! The 5th time I was so scared he was fighting so hard to breathe I freaked out in the ER and finally they helped me instead of pushing me aside my baby ended up having RSV and if left untreated can cause serious illness(which happened to my son from being sent home time and time again!) He ended up being hospitalized and remained in there for 5 days!! Just wondering if anyone else ever experience such a hellish time at the ER before where you had to flip out and look like a nut ball for them to take action, How sick does a baby have to be??

jsimonds220

Asked by jsimonds220 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cont.... I am not asking how sick a baby has to be by that I mean how sick do they have to be before the hospital actually takes action cuz my little one was fighting so hard to breathe I really don't think he would have made it through another night and I was so scared and so pissed at the treatment I was getting at the ER!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I had the same problem. I took my son to another ER like 30 mins away and they treated him. Some of them just suck!
    Anonymous

• you should sue them
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• When my son was 2 months old he got so sick and was fighting to breathe. I took him to the ER and they put him in the hospital right away. We were there for a week and the whole time the nurses would come in the room every hour to check his temp and what ever else they had to do. It pissed me off so bad. I knew he needed to rest and not be poked every hour. Just leave him alone and let him rest!!! I went off on the nurses. He got so bad they wanted to airlift him to the hospital in Chicago (I live in Indina) but the weather was so bad they took him by ambulance. He stayed in the hospital there for another week. I was so glad to get to that hospital in Chicago. He went into ICU and the nurse there told everyone DO NOT TOUCH HIM DO NOT DISTURB HIM, IF HE NEEDS A DIAPER CHANGE LEAVE HIM ALONE, A DIAPER RASH IS THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!!

rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 9:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I felt so much better once we got there and she said that. I knew he was in good hands. I belive if he would have stayed at the hospital in Indiana they would have killed him.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 9:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• oh btw he did have RSV
    rochellecole

• Thats just awful! I havent had the best experience going in to the e.r. with my children either. Most of the time I go,we get sent home with instructions to take some childrens or baby tylenol and thats it. With my first, I was always so worried about my son, he had asthma so I was at the e.r. a lot, they really never did anything but keep me in the waiting room for hours and a quick look then sent home. Now, with my 2nd baby I don't even bother with the e.r. I just call her doctor and go in to see him. Even if I do have to wait till the next day because its better than just sitting in a germ infested e.r. and they don't do anything anyway. Of course I would go there and throw a holy fit if the problem was as serious as your babies and was having trouble breathing and they were ignoring me. You did the right thing. I think they get overwhelmed there with new parents bringing thier kids in for a runny nose,and they clump (cont)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• everyone into one stereotyped category. If there is no blood or bones sticking out and no apparent heart attack, your left on the back burner, unfortunately.
    Hope your baby is doing better now. Glad he has a mommy like you! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My family is very use to ER's when I was growing up. Between me breaking things, my brother always being sick, and my sister with CP and having many medical problems...never had a bad experience. Sorry you had such bad ones. Glad your little boy is doing better and got the help he needed. Just went through (still has the bad cough) with my little 12 month old. She didnt get as bad as your son but I know how miserable it can be for them and how scary it can be.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I have a friend who was sent home three times before they tested for meningitis. Her 6 month old ended up in the hospital for months and ultimately had severe brain damage. He died earlier this year (at age 4).

You do have to follow your instincts and act like a nutjob sometimes... that's our job.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2010