spin off Pagan Ritual Space Question...

For those of you with your own indoor ritual area or that at least do your rituals indoors, what is your ritual space or alter space like?

I'm asking mostly about indoors because I think outdoors are easy to do, if the space doesn't work, go to another park... lol... But if you want to talk about that too, I'm sure we would all love to hear about it.

Indoor space is harder to do because we can't move our walls. So how do you make space in your indoor space?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just use my living room. I move everything I need to the centre, after clearing space for it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I don't really have a great indoor space. Just my bedroom. So I set up a temporary alter on my desk or dresser for rituals. But I can't have anything permanent in my house... I like using my dresser best, it's a nice large space and I have a large mirror on the wall above it which I feel gives me a better connection to the spirit realm.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Since DH had to "give up" his ritual room for the nursery he has been such a cry baby. Old ritual room/ now the nursery is a 12x12 room with a south facing window. It wasn't big enough for the grimoire he is doing anyway.

We are now... sigh... in the process of converting our garage into a ritual room. It is 22x 28 feet. He needs a 20 ft circle. We're going to cut a hole in the west wall (because the east wall is our house) for a window. He has salvaged some wood and sheet rock. He is building rolling wall panels. See, if you marry a crazy person you CAN move your walls!! LOL!

We don't identify as "pagans" since that means non-judeo christian and we practice from kabbalist grimoires. "Jew-witches??"

We're making ritual mats out of canvas that can be rolled up and taken anywhere. We camp on holidays to do outdoor work without the neighbors watching.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I set up a temp. alter on my fireplace mantle or sit and use the Hearth. The Hearth symbolizes life to me, because of how important the fire place was back when that was the lifeblood of a household. I have some salvaged white birch logs that I leave in the fire box when we aren't using it, I incorporated them in to what I do by using them to hold candles and things.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It all depends what I intend to do. I mostly use my livingroom it has the most room and I put everything on the
    floor. as an alter I use my grandson's step stool or lay a cloth on the floor for my supplies.
    If it's a Sabath Ritual I use the Buffet in my diningroom as my open alter.
    And if I am doing only Spell work, I use my Kitchen.
    I did a complete cleansing of my house and cast a circle around the areas I work in. I don't normally cast another
    circle unless needed.
    But alas... with 4 fur babies running a muck around here, all my alters are not out all the time.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• We cast a permanent circle around our entire property, so we are *always* in sacred space. We don't usually cast a circle within that circle unless we have a specific reason to do so, & we do rituals in different areas within our sacred space. We're very flexible! We have permanent altars set up in different areas of our home and yard, the main one being on our fireplace mantel in the dining room - the heart of our home. We also set up temporary altars for specific rituals or gatherings, such as when we have our Feast of the Dead at Samhain. We set up a draped table in the corner of the dining room where we place pictures & mementos of our deceased relatives & a plate for offerings of special foods that our loved ones enjoyed. If I am doing a solitary ritual &/or meditation that requires concentration, I use the dresser in my bedroom where I keep all the candles & other tools, or the bathroom vanity with the mirror.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• im not pagan, im a satanist but do rituals, i have a temp. alter set up in my room that can be put away when im done lol.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Well, you've seen my Altars.  The "Kit" goes anywhere and we make do with wherever we are. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2010