Should I let my 14 year old little sister thats living with me stay in contact with a 16 year old boy that shes been friends with for 6 years and is saying that shes in love with????

He's all she thinks about,so she says, all I hear is his name around the house all day long! I love her but it gets so annoying! She wants to stay in contact with the guy and wait until she can graduate and than go to collage with him, she says he's a nice guy....but I don't know.He is a nerd, on the bug team. What do you think? Should I let her still talk to him? They are 3 states apart.. But I don't know if it would be good or bad for her......Should I let her stay in contact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• sure you should. whats wrong with her having a friend? maybe she really is in love with him, and hes a nice guy. maybe hes her soul mate and one day theyre going to get married... you never know.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• keeping contact is a good thing, just think of how depressed she would be if she couldnt talk to her bf of 6 years.esp if she thinks she has feelings for him. worst case is that they stop talking over time, but the good thing is she cant sleep with him over the phone!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• no, direct her attention in another area.
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 10:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• awww, puppy love. How I remember the days...sigh.
    Well, they live pretty far apart, and let me tell you big sis...she will resent you if you come between her love to be! If I were you, I would try to get her involved in some other activities with you and maybe even some other friends that takes her mind off him every so often. But do it in a way that she doesnt know that your trying to get her mind off him.
    As for him being a nerd..hey...nerds tend to grow up and make good money! lol.
    Good Luck with the lil sis!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• I would probably allow her to keep in contact. Eventually their relationship may just fade away, since they are so far away. If not, maybe they are destined to be together.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Whats wrong with them being friends?I would let them if I was in your situation.
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 11:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Let the poor kid have her friend...you'll just make her have to defy you and sneak around to talk to him.

Why does she live with you and not your parents?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Of course you should let her keep in touch!

And btw, I began dating my dh at 14 (he was 17). We are now happily married with three kids (and still best friends).
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 11:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Do not stand in the way of this kind of love, what harm can it do if they are so far apart. Think back to your first love or crush and you will answer your own question.

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Think back to when you were that age. Its a hard age already.
    They are 3 states away, so distance is to your advantage. Limit it to online contact and SOME phone contact.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2010