Not Talking

My son is going to be two in 3 months and he says some things like, mama, dada, pease for please, bye and he babbles alot. But he doesn't talk talk, should I be worried? Is this normal at his age?

bshultz33

Asked by bshultz33 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would check with your doctor. Not all kids progress at the same age. Do you have any other concerns? I guess I wouldn't worry to much now, but if his speech doesn't progress in the next year I would definitely check it out.

Anonymous

• mine is almost 2 and babbles constantly and says small words like yours but i am not overly concerned bc it seems like sometimes boys are a little behind girls lol. and i have heard many moms complain of their sons not speaking at 2 but they start talking clearly a few months after their 2nd birthday.
    Anonymous

• My son, now 31 months was the same way. My other two children were talking at an earlier age. All of the sudden, he started picking up new words and now he speaks sentences. Heck, he hardly ever stops talking now. Maybe give him a few more months.
    Anonymous

• He's fine. I have 19 month old twins and it is true what the say about girls and boys being different when it comes to progress with things like walking, talking etc. My daughter is learning more and more new words every day. My son seems to learn them too but for some reason he doesn't seem to bother saying them. Every kid is different and those ages you see in books about when kids do stuff are just averages....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• At 2, if you have any concerns about his speech I would call early intervention in your area. Yes, children develop at their own rate but should be at least close to hitting milestones. My son is 12 now but I had concerns when he was 2 and people kept brushing me off with "he'll talk when he's ready," "boys talk later than girls," etc. so I waited to have him evaluated until he was almost 3 - I am so convinced that if I had him evaluated earlier and gotten a head start on his speech therapy he would be so much further than he is today.
    If you get the eval and they say he's fine, then at least your fears are laid to rest. If there is a delay, then you have a head start on it before he gets very far behind.

Answer by missanc at 9:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my little one wil be 2 in june and she will say a word then never say it agagin for a while.she mostly bables too,i dont belive that whole girls and guys thing where the girls learn faster or whatever.she can however point to any picture of what u ask her to and point to any body part and knows what u want her to do,she is also potty training and doing well.but im not worried about the speech as long as he knows what u are saying and can understand
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would talk to your pediatrician about it. I think at 21 months your son should be saying a lot more. My son is 20 months and has around 100 words and is forming short sentences and I think he's just average for his age.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2010