Would you do this for your family?

Ok, I'm just looking for opinions here. I currently work a fulltime day job, and attend college online. I've been contemplating getting a second job for a few months now, just for something to bring in a little extra cash. (It's not strictly necessary but it'd be nice). Then I found out my 18-year old sister is pregnant and her boyfriend is the biggest JERK OFF to ever walk the earth. He told her it would be fine and then walked out and now has nothing to do with her.

She works at a hair salon and has another job but is not even making ends meet. She's now 4 months along and I think I'm going to take that second job and give her my paychecks. It kills me to see her so upset all the time and I'd only be working when my DS was in bed at home with daddy, and I'm certain I could keep up on my school work. Does this sound totally nuts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would probably do the same thing.
    Anonymous

• I think your sister needs to learn how to do things on her own. Your not always going to be there to help her out. It's a nice thing but I wouldn't do it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• There are a lot of resources out there like WIC and foodstamps and other public aid....could she benifit from some of those programs?
    Anonymous

• not entirely... but i think you would be putting too much pressure on yourself... i had my daughter when i was 19 and nobody was giving me checks. she's young but she is a big girl and can handle it if she stays strong and works hard. as long as you're there for support, that is sometimes worth more than money. but she is your family and if you feel it is right then you should go for it!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 10:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• It sounds like the nicest thing I have heard in a longtime.... You're sister is very lucky to have you in her life. If you think you can handle it, then it's totally up to you. Don't forget about you in all of this though, but do know that you are a wonderful Sister, and soon to be Aunt, to a very lucky baby..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• Your*
    MrsLeftlane

• I think that is extrememly generous of you, but I would not do it if it was me. She got herself into this mess, and she needs to figure out how to make it work IMO. Its much easier to sit back and let people hand you money than to go out there and work for it yourself. I wouldn't want that to send the wrong message. Not to mention, my family, meaning my fiance and my son, come first. That extra money could be going to my son in the form of better food, more toys, diapers, or securing his future for college or something along those lines.
    Anonymous

• Well it depends...Is she working trying to better herself? It is a very nice thing for you to do and it sounds like you are already pretty busy so I am not sure I would do it. I think I would be more apt to let her stay with me and help out with baby here and there. I mean how long will you work for you? temporary would be ok but she does need to learn about making ends meet. Maybe encourage her to go to school. You are a good role model too!
    Anonymous

• I think it's nice, but as someone who has a sister who is always trying to make ends meet, she does need to learn how to deal with her own situation. You can't pick up the pieces every time. I have to back off my sister-- she needs to do the work if her life is going to get better. Encourage her to go back to school or help her with tuition, help her only in a way that is going to enable her to get on her own two feet. Doing anything else is merely enabling her.
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds like you're an awesome sister. I'd do the same thing for my baby sister if need be.
    Anonymous