What is the best way to approach potty training for a 3 year old?

I have a 3 year old son and I am scared to start potty training him. I am not sure what to do or how to start off. My son is my only child and I am a great Mom but I still am learning. So please help me solve this issue.

KimBenn1

Asked by KimBenn1 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every child is different but what I did for my son was just put him underwear. I took week off of work and we didn't go anywhere for that week. It took about 2 days of me cleaning up messes and then all of sudden he got it. I rewarded him with quarters. He loves money and Auntie Ann Pretzels. So every 10 quarters he got we went to the mall and got a pretzel (1 quarter for peeing and 2 for pooping) We went through the quarters twice and then went through it once for just pooping and we were totally done. I was really surprised at how quick he caught on. Oh, and he had no interest in sitting on the potty at all before we started. I think what really helped though was he does not like to be messy. He hated it when he wet his pants. Good luck to you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Wow I wish it was that easy to train my 3 yr old lol. Im in the same boat I dont know what else to do at this point cause we have tried only the underware and my son just doesnt care that he poops or pees in them and he will tell me after he goes not befor lol so this is a tricky one. I will be looking at this post to see if theres anything new that I havnt tried cause my son just turned 3 in dec and with a baby about to be here next month it would be great to have him potty trained however eveyone tells me to wait till after shes here so he doesnt want to go back to diapers. Will see
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2010