Spitting up through nose?

DS is one month and is EBF. Whenever he spits up it never comes out his mouth, only his nose. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know they are connected, but I have never even heard of another baby doing this.

MoM.i.aM

Asked by MoM.i.aM at 11:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES! My twin boys did it all the time when they were very young. they eventually grow out of it. It can be scary, but just make sure you burp them the best you can, and don't overfeed. My Ped explalined it as when they are little like that thier esophagus (sp?) is so short, when they burp up or whatever, that it just comes up really fast, and it comes out wherever it can come out!
    Anonymous

• my son was formula fed, he was also in the NICU when he was first born and the nurses warned me that lots of times when babys spit up its comes out through there nose. you need a bulb syringe or an aspiratar its called to suck the milk or formula out of there nose when it happens because they breath mostly through there nose so they cant breath if you dont get the formula out!! so make sure you have that bulb syringe. they come in first aid kits for babys.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2010

• My daughter is 10 months old and still does that. She started doing the liquid out the nose thing at 2 weeks. Our pedi said it was acid reflux. We switched to Alimentum formula (free through WIC) and noticed an improvement within 24 hours. Also, her pedi put her on Zantac. It doesnt stop the reflux (fluid out the nose) it just makes it less acidic, so it doesnt burn her throat/nose when it comes out.
    Also, keeping her upright 30min-1hr after feedings helped A LOT. She would sleep in her swing after eating ( upright position). Good luck!
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2010