Do you think I'm creating a bad habit by putting my 5 month old to sleep in the baby bjorn? I do this for naps & bed time but he's out in literally 10 min

I'm thinking it's not letting him learn how to self sooth?

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I rocked my daughter until she was 2, to sleep. She sleeps fine and on her own now. She's a good baby/toddler, so i don't know how your child would do, but mine was fine...
    Anonymous

• I snuggled all of my babies to sleep until 15 months or so, and yes, it took them a while to develop healthy sleep habits after that.

But, I would do it again :) They are babies for such a short time.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• "I snuggled all of my babies to sleep until 15 months or so, and yes, it took them a while to develop healthy sleep habits after that.

But, I would do it again :) They are babies for such a short time."

Same here and I wouldn't change a thing. it was hard to get them to fall asleep later on their own but now my boys are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and the go to bed great by themselves. I now have a 7 month old that I rock to sleep every night. They are only little once and someday they won't want to snuggle. Enjoy it while you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• F the self-soothe stuff. lol, I'm so sick of that term. Do what your mommy instincts tell you. Babies need their mommies and going to sleep next to mommy's warm heartbeat is never a bad thing (especially for a five-month-old). I still parent my daughter to sleep at 18 months, but at this point I don't use a carrier to do it, we're in bed. I don't think there is anything unhealthy about being near a mother when falling asleep. You are doing great, continue to do what works for you!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It depends on how long you want to be doing it. Generally, the older kids are when you break their sleeping habits, the harder it is for them to break. I have 4 kids, and a 5th on the way so I don't have time to rock, walk, lay with my kids until they fall asleep, etc. (they are 12, 10, 8, and 15 months) - from the time they came home from the hospital I started training them to sleep by putting them in their cribs drowsy but awake. They learned to soothe themselves to sleep from the beginning. But that's just one option.
    All parents are different, and you just need to decide what is right for you and your baby.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If you're both happy with it, then go for it. Keep in mind though, that she may, or may not have a hard time getting to sleep without you (as is the case with many babies). I say, do what works for you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010